Melanoselinum decipiens

• 3 Replies

John J

Melanoselinum decipiens
« on: April 21, 2012, 10:11:28 AM »
John F, at the AGM in Chania you gave out seeds of this plant. The photo shows the current status of the ones I've grown. According to the Internet they can grow to a height of 2.5 - 4m and take from 5 - 15 years to flower. Is this correct? Do I have an uncontrollable giant on my hands?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Melanoselinum decipiens
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 10:06:42 AM »
The seedling I gave to Sally is still in a pot and is flowering at about 40 cm. I read that Melanoselinum likes part shade so I've planted my one remaining seedling (all the rest died off over the winter) under an almond tree on a downward sloping bank so that I will see its top.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 11:03:10 AM »
Hi, I have been away for some time and just seen this. The plants here in London have virtually always been biennial. Occasionally not flowering until their third year and then seedling and dying. They self seeded for many years with high frost tolerance until last winter when they were all killed. I would say that they seemed to cope with minus 10ÂșC for short periods, it's when snow freezes on them that they suffered.
The second picture shows them in the snow dated 2010.01.08 (January 2010) and the third shows the recovery on 2010.03.24 (March 2010) so the following winter they were not so lucky!
Height wise around 2 meters or occasionally more but I would be surprised at 4 m. Maybe in the right climate.
In the wild I saw them about the 2 m height. They are very architectural and wonderful.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:07:12 AM by John »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John J

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 11:37:11 AM »
Thanks, John, we very rarely get down anywhere near zero and certainly never get snow so no problems on that score. With regard to height I'm glad to hear that 2m seems about the average. So far they are looking pretty healthy, I'll keep you informed about their progress.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)