NOW SOLVED: Guess what this is!

• 20 Replies

John

NOW SOLVED: Guess what this is!
« on: July 10, 2011, 11:22:46 PM »
No prizes but just for fun guess what this is? Our own plant ident!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:40:56 PM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Guess what this is!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 08:20:37 AM »
My guess is allium anthers??
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 08:42:22 AM »
Sorry wrong, next please!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 01:35:07 PM »
John it`s a grass shedding pollen, no its anthers that we can see. david
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 04:38:51 PM by David Bracey »
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

John

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 10:41:50 PM »
Sorry, no, you too are way out!
John

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 07:49:04 AM »
A wild guess: the acorn-cup of Quercus ithaburensis subsp. macrolepis?? For anyone who doesn't know this Mediterranean oak, the seed receptacle, or cup of the acorn, is a remarkable thing, with excrescences that eventually harden into something that makes it look like a wooden model of a sea anemone. I have planted a few seedlings in the unwatered part of our hot Greek garden, in the shade of a stone bench, in the hope that at least one will survive, to give shade in its turn to people on the bench - not me alas, as I'll be long gone by then!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 07:37:07 PM »
Another wild guess: Ranunculus asiaticus anther?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 07:47:49 PM »
No to those. No clues yet though.
John

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 09:15:59 AM »
Salix?
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 10:31:21 AM »
No but you and Jorun have moved into the right order of plants.
John

JTh

• Email
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 03:06:45 PM »
That was confusing, Salix belongs to the order Malpighiales, and Ranunculus to the order Ranunculales, I'll stick to the last one: Anemone spp?

R
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 06:00:46 PM »
No sorry wrong family.
John

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 08:19:10 AM »
Clematis?
You dare tell me you need the species, too!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 09:47:12 PM »
Nope, but actually species is not so relevant it is a cultivar! With this genus this is a very typical species but there are others which are less known and which also have a few cultivars. I will however even accept the common name for this group of flowers. There's also a clue in the last three words here! Enough, next attempt please.
John

John

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 09:03:53 PM »
Surprising that this one has lasted as it was the first posting!
John