non flowering sage

• 2 Replies

Daisy

non flowering sage
« on: May 18, 2012, 04:29:25 PM »
My purple leaved sage, has been planted for over a year now. It has never flowered.
You can see here that it is perfectly healthy and happy but just doesn't want to flower. ???
Does anybody know why?
Daisy :)

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: non flowering sage
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 07:08:46 PM »
Daisy your purple sage is wonderful - and much better for not flowering. Don't you find that Salvia officinalis falls apart when it flowers, abandoning it's nice rounded shape to crush its neighbours and reveal tough old stems in the centre. The flowers are lovely, of course, but since we choose the purple version for the leaves I'd say it's a bonus that it stays so neat and tidy. Saying that, every time I've tried it the plant has succumbed to a nasty mould.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Daisy

Re: non flowering sage
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 06:16:07 AM »
Thank-you Fleur.  Yes, it has got a good shape and I am not really bothered that it doesn't flower. I was just wondering why ??? ??? ???
I have always grown purple leaved sage. It is such a useful and good-looking plant. This is the first time I have had a non-flowering one!
Sorry to hear you have had trouble with it. Mine gets a touch of powdery mildew, early in the season, but grows out of it, thank goodness ;D
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS