Pruning lavender, rosemary, santolina

• 2 Replies

JEN

• Email
Pruning lavender, rosemary, santolina
« on: May 16, 2012, 02:55:24 PM »
Have I completely missed the boat for this year? Some people tell me to cut back in March, others say in August. What is the best time of year of cut these plants back.
'Gardens' on a denuded hillside in the southern
Peloponnese in the hope of encouraging a few green things to spend a little time with us.

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Pruning lavender, rosemary, santolina
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »
hello Jen, I always prune lavendar soon after it has flowered.  This allows you to collect the flowers if you wish.  The plants regenerate rapidly with new shoots which are attractive .  I think you can prune rosemary any time during the year. It needs shaping only by cutting back to a lateral.  Spring is probably the best time.  Santolina after flowering which will allow new shoots in the same season..
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

JEN

• Email
Re: Pruning lavender, rosemary, santolina
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 06:11:35 PM »
Thank you David! You have made my day and defined my tomorrow. I'll get the shears sharpened.
'Gardens' on a denuded hillside in the southern
Peloponnese in the hope of encouraging a few green things to spend a little time with us.