New Pest for ID IDd by Oron as a Chrysomela populi cocoon

• 3 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
New Pest for ID IDd by Oron as a Chrysomela populi cocoon
« on: May 21, 2012, 06:09:23 PM »
Seems to be a very bad year for pests. ???
Anyone know what these brutes are on my salix tortuosa?
The tiny black caterpillers are tiny more and have left me with "lovely" ::) filigree leaves everywhere not to mention bites out of almonds, newly forming apples and peaches etc!
Whi would be a gardener?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 07:19:20 PM by Fleur Pavlidis »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Bracey

• Email
Re: New Pest for ID
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 06:43:57 PM »
What is causing the large rear end...........is it flattened, is it a loop, rounded or what?  David
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 08:35:10 PM »
Looks like a Chrysomela populi cocoon.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 06:44:18 AM »
Think you are right as usual Oron, we get many different kinds of leaf beetles, some very pretty! and often on the Willows. Interestingly they don't seem to be dealing with our current unseasonal cold, wet weather at the moment. My morning inspection revealed many of them seem to be dead or dying (thank goodness)-  mainly the bigger ones whilst the younger ones seem to be coping better. Many thanks.
David, just for interest, the "fat" end is the head with three pairs of legs and a different "spot "pattern to the rest of the body.
Although I don't like all these pests it is ,nevertheless, interesting to observe them and know what they are such is the diversity in this area.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.