Dietes grandiflora

• 2 Replies

John J

Dietes grandiflora
« on: May 05, 2012, 01:12:57 PM »
I guess one's never too old to fall for the wiles of a pretty face, so when I saw this little beauty in a local garden centre yesterday I was smitten. I just had to take her home, along with a couple of her sisters. I already have 3 Dietes bicolour that I'm totally in love with but these cousins of theirs could certainly put a strain on that relationship.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 02:50:19 PM by John J »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

pamela

Re: Dietes grandiflora
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 06:08:38 PM »
It certainly is lovely John and well worth it.  Mine are planted under a large Phoenix canariensis and at the moment they are looking great.
This year has been better than before, the only trouble is they don't last more than a couple of days. However they are prolific seeders and I just throw the seeds around......hoping for more!   I also have Dietes bicolor which us another fascinating S.A. beauty.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

John J

Re: Dietes grandiflora
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 03:49:07 PM »
Our first flower of this season.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)