Sarcopoterium spinosum

• 3 Replies

jmw

• Email
Sarcopoterium spinosum
« on: May 05, 2012, 10:15:54 AM »
I have seed of this spiny shrub, but no knowledge of how to germinate them. I have found vague mentions of heat and fire on the net, but nothing practical. I am sure some of you will have some successful experience with this species you might be able to share please. Thank you in anticipation!
Jo Wakelin
Gardens in Central Otago, New Zealand, with  -12C to  37C, and 250 - 400mm annual rainfall. Mad keen on cold hardy, drought tolerant plants.Member RHS, lecturer Horticulture.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Sarcopoterium spinosum
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 11:45:46 AM »
I think the seeds will germinate very easily.
I was hoping someone else would answer your question first because my comment is rather negative!
Sarcopoterium spinosum covers a wild area of my land and is quite a problem to control without being very attractive. Compared to Euphorbia acanthothamnus, with which it is commonly confused, it's dull and badly shaped. It self-seeds freely and will grow in any circumstances of drought and shallow poor soil. I foolishly used prunings as a mulch once and suffered for the next year from being pricked whilst weeding both by the mulch and the seedlings from the seeds in the mulch.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John J

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 02:17:41 PM »
Like you, Fleur, I hesitated to answer as Sarcopoterium is hardly considered to be an ornamental plant here. It covers the hillsides and makes walking off any beaten track rather hazardous to say the least. The book 'Trees and Shrubs in Cyprus' describes it as; 'An indigenous species, occuring in garigue and impoverished areas, where frequently it is the dominant species.' I would think it should germinate very easily from seed, it is one of the first plants to recolonise following fires, for example.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

jmw

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 09:26:14 AM »
Thank you both. I can well understand how a common widespread shrub holds no interest for you; however I am always willing to try something new!
If Euphorbia acanthothamnus was available I would try it, but very hard to find seed in NZ. Seed sown today.
Jo Wakelin
Gardens in Central Otago, New Zealand, with  -12C to  37C, and 250 - 400mm annual rainfall. Mad keen on cold hardy, drought tolerant plants.Member RHS, lecturer Horticulture.