Tiny black caterpillers

• 19 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Tiny black caterpillers
« on: May 02, 2012, 05:44:55 AM »
My garden, and the surrounding countryside according to our neighbouring farmer, is suffering from a plague of tiny black caterpillers. I first noticed them on the chromium handles of our poolsteps. At first, from a distance I thought they were ants but realising they were not moving quickly made a closer inspection and they turned out to be caterpillers. They are less than 1cm in length, covered in minute hairs and, at the moment are quite lethargic. Yesterday I spotted more on the rims of various pots I have dotted about but, due to their size and colour I was not able to find any on plants. I suppose this will happen when I find things chewed to bits. :(
Any idea what they are anyone? Could they be the dreaded processionary caterpiller despite the fact that they are not actually marching about with a purpose as far as I can see? Not really possible to include a photo - they are so small.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Tiny black caterpillers
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 06:56:38 AM »
Umbrian, you're seeing either:
- an early stage in the larval phase of a moderate-sized insect, at which time the caterpillars may not resemble the last (pre-pupation) stage - which is when they will look 'how they should' if you were to compare with photos in books or online;
or
- a later-stage of a small insect, which should be identifiable from photos but for the fact that the smaller insects are not as well represented in books and online.

So identification is in principle a little difficult, especially without photos. But it may happen that some folks will be able to make good suggestions based on personal knowledge.

Peacock butterflies have black larvae, but so do many other butterflies and moths, and many of them do not occur in plagues. Young caterpillars will almost always be on their food plant. The fact that yours are not, and that they are lethargic suggests they may be adult and looking for somewhere to pupate (like you'll often see large white butterflies' pupae on the sides of houses - where the larvae crawled having left their foodplants). The other reason for lethargy is parasitism; there are several wasps that lay their eggs inside insect larvae, which slowly die. They may also be away from their foodplants because they have eaten all the local ones and are looking for more to devour.

If you Google for "plague of black caterpillars", you'll see you are not alone. But ident. is still tricky.
This hit could be of use, since it makes suggetions for control - http://www.amnet.net.au/~mpeaty/pests1.html.
Also, make sure it is not this type of caterpillar - http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/05/14/now-its-caterpillar-outbreaks-caused-by-global-warming/ :)

Note that processionary moths do not 'process' until late in their development.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:04:58 AM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 08:10:46 AM »
Umbrian can you describe the caterpillars a bit more. Do they move forward with a looping action, do they move backwards when touched on the nose!, do they hang from threads?

What host plants are closeby.? Do they huddle in groups or are they solitary?
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 03:50:28 PM »
David they move forward and do not jump backwards when bonked on the nose! (Quite difficult to achieve they are so small)  Some appear to be on gossamer threads - we found some hanging from the table when we had lunch outside today. I have not found any on plants YET but nearby the two main infestations are lavender,gaura,honeysuckle,erigeron,oregano....quite an asortment. Actually they are concentrating on man made materials, metals, wood etc and terracotta pots. A visit to a friend's garden after lunch about 12km from me produced more sightings, there thy seemed to be concentrating on his doors. Shall keep an eye on the situation and if and when they get bigger will try to photograph them
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 03:53:59 PM »
Thanks Mike for all your info. Am going to google as you suggest and will report on ongoing situation when there is something to report - hopefully not a denuded garden ::)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 08:19:35 PM »
Your further description makes me think they must have been seen in the area before. Can you ask any locals; maybe get a local name for them, Google or look that up (with/without translation) - might point you in a fruitful direction.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 02:03:12 PM »
At last I  have found some on plantlife -( Willow to be exact in my garden but there is no willow anywhere around my friend's garden) Anyway due to them munching away I found some slightly bigger ones and have attempted to photograph them. When tiny they just look black but now I can see that they are more dark brown with a line of yellowy/orange spots down the back. Long fine hairs all the way down and extra long at head end and rear. I seem to remember that willow is the host plant for several types of caterpiller? Hope this helps :-\

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 03:06:24 PM »
Looks like a gypsy moth caterpillar to me, which in their newly hatched state do drift around on their spider-threads. They eat the leaves of almost all woody plants.
Ifso, beware those hairs, which can bring up a rash - severe in some people.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 03:27:26 PM »
Good photo Umbrian.
I think you might be right Alisdair.
Gypsy moths (Lymantria dispar) can certainly cause plagues, eg. in 1981 they defoliated 13 million acres in the USA.
http://www.ent.orst.edu/burgettm/ent300_lecture18.htm
Mike

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 08:47:37 PM »
You can often identify lepidoptera larvae by their movements.  For example tortrix caterpillars move backwards when their heads are touched, loppers characteristically move forward with a looping action.  Gypsy moth caterpillars and members of the Lymantriidae have distinctive appearance with alternating bristles and hairy projections. They often move on threads of silk blown in the wind.  Tussock moths are another example.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 05:48:33 AM »
Thanks for the identification of my caterpillers :) Now the question is what can I do about them if anything? ::)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 06:21:54 PM »
 :( My tiny black caterpillers are growing apace having settled on the Almond tree where they are feasting on the actual almonds as opposed to the leaves and also on an Apple tree where the tiny apples have all but been demolished! Am going away for a few days tomorrow and dread to think what I shall come back to! ???

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 06:28:50 AM »
The plague of tiny black caterpillers has now become an invading army of voracious hairy ones that are defoliating things at an alarming rate. Their preferred food are apple tree leaves at the moment with Wisteria a close second. One small apple tree has been completely defoliated and a multi stemmed ornamental crab nearby quckly going the same way. A mulberry in the vicinity is untouched. The Wisteria climbing over our outside sitting area to the back of the house is being shredded to an alarming degree and every morning the paving below is covered with bits of leaves that fall off as the caterpillers munch their way through. I have been hand picking them from areas I can reach but it is a loosing (and unpleasant) game due to the numbers involved.  :'(

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 06:32:15 AM »
Forgot the photo - Here it is showing how close they are in places and some leafless stalks.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 06:24:29 AM »
Whilst driving up to our local village yesterday I was amazed to see the extent of the damage being caused by the current infestation of Gypsy Moth caterpillers as identified by Alisdair in an earlier posting I can truthfully say that we have a plague of them. The road is lined with mainly Oak trees and in some stretches it resembles a winter landscape with large, mature trees completely defoliated and the only green remaing being large bunches of Mistletoe that they seem to dislike. It is possible to see them, in their huge numbers, with the naked eye when driving along. A closer inspection, whilst Colin was taking photographs for me, revealed that they had moved onto some newly planted (3/4years) Walnut trees in one place on which they were clustered in large numbers crawling over one another to get to the leaves.
Of course they are still a problem in the garden and have moved onto my Cypress in large numbers. In the space of 5minutes I removed 100 and I go out at regular intervals to remove as many as possible - a noisome task but one I feel I must do to prevent too much damage.
Will the defoliated trees recover? What about the Cypress? - I can only de-caterpiller them to a certain height!
Will post some photos when Colin has processed them for me.