1st of May flowers

• 38 Replies

Hilary

Re: 1st of May flowers
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2021, 04:56:43 PM »
May 1st  2021
We are allowed to go in the car somewhere near for exercise now so we went where we knew there would be a wealth of wild flowers .
However, the area had been destroyed last year  which we had forgotten about
My husband went looking for the Yellow Horned Poppy while I picked the Sea Lavender
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Charithea

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2021, 07:41:24 PM »
Hilary when I was a child the base of the wreath was made of Punica granatumfollowed byPassiflora edulis as most gardens had them. We used wild flowers such as mallow flowers and crown daisies and two other cultivated flowers found in the garden such as dianthus and Rosa damascene depending how hot our previous two months were.  Almost every house door had a May wreath then. It seems now only the oldies carry on this tradition despite the ease of acquiring flowers from the florist .
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Hilary

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2021, 09:53:51 PM »
I will take a be-masked walk around the block of flats tomorrow to see if anyone else has made a wreath
MGS member

JTh

• Email
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2021, 10:53:20 PM »
Two years since my last May wreath in Greece now, I so much wish I could have been there. I tried to find something I could use as material for a wreath here, but it is too early.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John J

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2021, 08:29:18 AM »
Jorun, how are things were you are? The situation in Norway doesn't seem to feature much on the World News over here.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2021, 08:34:48 AM »
Following on from the May wreath we have a floral display featuring some of the Salvias that are in flower, as well as others.
On the subject of May wreaths and the fact that only the 'oldies' carry on the tradition, according to Thea's niece several of her friends hang them from their doors. They buy them ready-made from the florist. Is this an example of progress!?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 08:47:05 AM by John J »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2021, 09:57:38 AM »
John, everything is very quiet, we have had a near complete lockdown for six months, the covid-19 infection is under control, very few are hospitalized, the total number of deaths 756, but the authorities are afraid of a new increase of the panddemic, like we had last autumn. So far, we are mot allowed to travel abroad; 10 days in a quarantine hotel, which you have to pay for when you return is not very tempting, even if you are vaccinated. The vaccination program has been going very slowly, but suddenly, a few days ago, were told that most of the adult population would have had at least one shot before summer.  So we don't see anybody, we don't go anywhere, I wonder what I would have been without the garden.  Here a couple og greetings from the north:

_5019111.jpg Sanguinaria canadensis 'Multiplex'"
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr

_5019105.jpg Paeonia mascula
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 12:29:46 PM by JTh »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2021, 11:35:09 AM »
Good to hear from you Jorun but sorry you are so restricted in what you can do. Much the same here in Italy until a week ago when most of the country was opened up slightly. Vaccination programme very slow. Colin, as an over eighty year old, has had his but I am still waiting and am wondering if I shall have to reach that age before being called🙄
As with you my garden has been a great source of pleasure and comfort - best interest one can have😊
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2023, 02:26:50 PM »
Our My Wreath
May1st 2023,
No shortage of crown daisies and thistles
It is the first time I have experienced drizzle on May 1st in 50 odd years
MGS member