What is this? SOLVED

• 17 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: What is this? SOLVED
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2019, 12:51:59 AM »
I have seen one or two trees of this in places around Rome. There are 2 big specimens in Piazza della Chiesa Nuova which should be in flower now given that the small tree in my local park is. There are also 2 younger trees in the square on the opposite side of the road from Piazza della Chiesa Nuova which are shown in the photograph attached (2015). Maybe seedlings? Talking of which, I notice Chantal's seed list does not contain this tree. I must try to supply her with some seeds.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2019, 08:40:37 AM »
Lovely close-up, John - though I've seen the tree fairly often, it's never been so close to see how felty-looking those flowers are.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Hilary

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2023, 06:04:41 AM »
Paulownia tomentosa, Empress tree, Foxglove tree

I was thrilled to find this tree, quite near our home, on a street I hardly ever go down. Apparently, its leaves become huge and its seeds spread easily.

Paulownia tomentosa is mentioned in several issues of THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN
I chose
GEMS FROM A GARDEN
-NOT JUST THE DIFFICULTIES
By Virginia Scaretti

THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 19,
Winter 2000
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care