Euphorbia x pasteurii

• 1 Replies

John

Euphorbia x pasteurii
« on: July 09, 2011, 10:19:22 PM »
Those of you who know me will probably know of my interest in Euphorbias. About 16 years ago I gave some seed of the autumn flowering Euphorbia characias from Crete to Tim Walker at Oxford Botanics. In return he sent me 4 seeds of the recently introduced E. stygiana from the Azores. It is similar to and very closely related to E. mellifera from the Macronesian Islands of The Canaries and Madeira. he did not know at the time and neither did I that all four seeds were actually hybrids between the two species. When the cross was realised at Oxford a student (I believe) named Pasteur confirmed it's hybrid origin and the hybrid became known as E. x pasteurii.
About two years ago I went to Oxford to see a botanical painting exhibition and popped in to the gardens. I was surprised not to see a mature specimen of this hybrid though there was a young plant growing with both parents.
The first picture was taken last year with a friend who works with us who is 1.88 m high. Up to this point there had been no damage caused despite the plant having been well below freezing on many occasions. Last winter snow froze onto the leaves for a number of days and this seemed to cause some damage. The second picture shows subsequent die back has occurred and is still continuing on the old wood but the younger new growths are strong and healthy. This is perhaps the oldest and largest specimen in the world though when you assume these things you are usually proved wrong.
It is more vigourous than either parent and totally evergreen. Presumably self compatible as it produces huge quantities of seed. Seedling have appeared from self sowing at least 15 m from the parent plant.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 07:32:50 AM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

ezeiza

Re: Euphorbia x pasteurii
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 04:15:25 PM »
Spectacular, John.