Scented plants

• 33 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Scented plants
« on: April 28, 2012, 05:48:14 AM »
Yes please Marilyn - let's start a new topic for scented plants, something very important to me when choosing additions for the garden. Regarding Calycanthus its scent reminds me of Freesias - especially the purple ones - sharply peppery. By the way have members noticed that the purple varieties of some species have a much stronger perfume than other colours? I am thinking particularly here of Petunias that I use a lot in pots for summer colour. :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 07:26:07 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Scented plants
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 08:47:09 AM »
Some of my favourites or should I say favs are Choisya ternata and "Aztec Pearl", Coronilla valentina, several Jasmine species, Citrus, Trachelospermum jasminoides, Eleagnus species, Araujia sericifera, Mandevilla laxa.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 08:36:17 AM »
For me, scents don't have to be strong. With visuals, one can appreciate a stunning smack-you-in-the-face display of vibrance, yet also appreciate much littler, subtler visual impacts. And just so with scents: I quite like a big waft of jasmine, Philadelphus or orange blossom; but I also like to have to get more intimate to discover the offerings of some violets, Sarcococca, pinks... I do find some scents problematical: some of the more-strongly scented Viburnum give me an almost immediate sinus headache. That's as regards floral scents.

But scented foliage is important as an appreciative dimension, especially in a mediterranean setting. On a big scale, I love the smell of a pine forest, and the anticipation as one approaches it. Of course, we can't do without rosemary, thyme, lavender et al. In many cases, the scent is not really apparent until one touches the leaves. I find that with lemon-scented Pelargoniums, Verbena and even with Helichrysum italicum if planted singly (curry plant).

One of the nice things with scent, be it of floral or foliar origin, is that it can creep up and surprise you. I know you are 'with me' on this. You'll be focussed on doing something in the garden, then you'll stand up straight and look around, saying to yourself or out loud 'where's that scent coming from?' or 'what's that fragrance?'. Sometimes you know it and track it down, sometimes you are left puzzled.

But I think the best thing stems from us humans having little ability to 'visualize' scents (perhaps I could say 'olfactorize'). With things we see, we can imagine them. We can't do that with smells (good or bad) - at least I can't. That means we can know what a plant smells like, but in order to experience it, we have to actually smell it. So as we approach the plant, we can't dilute the experience by imagining the scent before we get there. Only when we arrive and sniff do we get the enjoyment. That works for me especially with pinks (flowers) and raspberries (fruit). Anybody nodding their head in agreement, or am I alone in this?
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 02:19:44 PM »
Earlier this year I was asked to give a presentation at a Mind, Body & Spirit Expo. This was a bit of a challenge as I had no idea what a MB&S Expo entailed. Anyway, I settled on the subject of a 'Sensual Garden', an appreciation of how much we experience a garden via our senses. This sounded reasonably MB&S, to me anyway. Obviously, scent featured very highly, also the overlapping of the senses, such as touch and smell, as you point out, Mike.
Incidently, John Tradescant, Senior, one of the earliest and greatest of the plant collector/gardeners, had no sense of smell. A horrifying thought until you realise that as he's never experienced it he'll never miss it, I guess.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 06:15:04 AM »
 :) Lovely posting Mike and thanks for reminding us that foliage has an important part to play as well as flowers. I always have pelargoniums with scented leaves close to the house and sitting areas in the summer so that I can touch the leaves as I pass and carry the scent with me.Also a plant with leaves that smell strongly of lemon when rubbed the name of which I can never remember! In fact sharp citrusy scents are my favourites and like you, although appreciating the strong scents of some Viburnums, find them almost overpowering. Top of the list for me is probably Lonicera fragrantissima because it flowers in the dreary, colder months of the year and its pure ,sharp yet sweet scent enlivens the dreariest of days. Then we have the wonderful scent of the inconspicuous flowers of Eleagnus ebingii that suddenly wafts in the air in autumn. It always catches me by surprise as I set about the autumn clean up.
Scents are also great memory joggers, they can take you back to childhood days, being sent into the garden for mint, or to wonderful holidays wandering over moorland or hills covered with thymes and lavenders etc.
At the moment the air in my garden is full of the scent of Wisteria close to the house and Eleagnus angustifolia farther away making my early, daily morning walk a real olafactory pleasure! :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 04:32:23 PM »
Just catching up on the board and discovered this lovely offshoot from my Bauhinia question. Some lovely suggestions there from everyone. Scent has always been a huge component, for me, of what makes gardens (and being outdoors in general) attractive.

There are the refined perfumes, of course: Jasmines various (I love them all), Hedychium coronarium (!!!), tuberose, Gardenia, Trachelospermum. I would put Pinks here too; that clovey richness sends me into transports of delight...

Roses deserve a category all of their own, or perhaps separate categories for the different kinds: old English, Hybrid Teas, ramblers, rugosas... and their foliages also have often interesting and pungent scents. A couple of my favourites off the top of my head are Sweet Juliette (almost citrussy) and Mmme Isaac Pereire, but I could go on for AGES. For now, I will just to add the fragrance of a single white rambler rose that grew in one of my gardens, which I suspect was Rosa filipes "Kiftsgate".

The pungents that hang in the air, often at some distance from the source plant, I also love - Eleagnus, Daphne, honeysuckle, Lily of the Valley, Pittosporum tobira. On the subject of mock oranges, is it just my impression or does the dwarf Philadelphus "Manteau D'Hermine" have a much sweeter, finer fragrance than the slightly club-hammer hit of the majority of them?

Soft scents, those that you have to get your nose in to appreciate: Iris, jonquils, Phlox, violets, lilac.

Nighttime scents: Cestrum nocturnum, Brugmansia, stocks.

The mediterranean plant spectrum of course contains a lot more scented foliage - oily saps and all that - some of my favourites are Calaminta nepeta and a particularly good Origanum marjorana variety I had the luck to find last year - like perfume. Aloysia triphylla, Melissa officinalis, Thymus citriodorus and Cymbopogon citratum give very different expressions of the lemon scent that comes presumably from similar compounds. Going into scented woods, I saw (and smelled) the cinnamon tree for myself for the first time last year in Majorca; a Cinnamomum species. Delicious! And what a treat when I discovered that the leaves of citrus fruit trees smell like their fruit (lemon, lime, grapefruit…)

But I have to conclude the list with an appreciation of the compound scent of the Algarve air; it changes through the year and according to where exactly you are in the landscape, but the foundation ingredients are Cistus ladanifer gum, oleander blossom, toasting pine sap and fig: unfurling fig leaves, later ripening figs. Truly, heaven is a place on Earth.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 04:34:31 PM by Marilyn »
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

Daisy

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 02:44:12 PM »
In my garden at the moment, it is the roses and the pinks that are the most noticeable.

Pat Austin smells just like fresh mangoes.

I don't have a description for Buff Beauty's perfume, but it is gorgeous.

The same goes for Teasing Georgia!

Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 05:43:15 PM »
 :)Lovely photographs as always Daisy, can hardly believe your garden is on Crete!

Pescalune

Scented plants
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 05:38:58 PM »
I want to confirm that Pancratium maritimum (see discussion on it by clicking here) is a fascinating plant, and the most amazing thing about it is its heavenly SCENT! We find this plant on the beaches, near the Rhône delta, in July and August; just to inhale the fresh, kind-of-daffodil-but-more-exquisite perfume is to experience a rare epiphany. It's our reward for having to walk a long way in the hot sand dunes in order to rediscover the plants where they appeared the previous years.
On a scale of 10, for the most delightful fragrance, I would rate Pancratium maritimum a 9+.
And Hedychium gardnerianum, now in bloom in my garden, would rate 7.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:00:58 AM by Alisdair »
Pescalune

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 07:12:19 AM »
Having read Jean's posting I did some research and found that by typing in "perfume in the garden" I found many postings where the scent of plants was mentioned. Also in Miscellaneous there are already some postings on scent in the garden I think...?
Anyway I am pleased that perhaps we shall rekindle discussion on this important aspect of plants. The garden attached to my new house was formerly cultivated by Nuns who cared for blind children and so I am planning to make it a scented garden both in their memory and for my own pleasure. It is small and so I shall have to be very selective. I have been jotting down the names of plants with strong perfumes for months now but shall soon have to come to some decisions as I hope to start planting in the autumn :)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 08:42:21 AM »
You're quite right, Carole - and in fact you started a discussion about this yourself, here! So I've now added Jean's thoughts to that original discussion, which as you say is well worth reviving. Thanks!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

pamela

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 01:18:40 PM »
My favourites are:
Jasminium officinale especially in the evening its glorious ...
Pittosporum tobira...we have many of these and in Spring ..wow.. the smell pervades the whole garden!
Stephanotis floribunda
Leaves of Salvia guaranitica

The plant smell I detest the most is leaves of Rue Ruta graveolens Although its such a pretty plant and I do have it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:20:15 PM by pamela »
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Joanna Savage

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 04:22:38 PM »
This is more about scented gardens than particular scented plants. There is no scent as evocative as the smell of rain on dry ground in the garden. This week, in this part of Toscana I have registered 50 mm of rain, following a long dry summer. The powerful scent suggests relief from the heat and, especially in drought stricken environments,  it allows some hope that conditions will improve.

I have heard that the smell can be attributed to reviving bacteria in the soil, particularly Pseudomonas. Is anyone able to confirm or deny my hearsay?

Trevor Australis

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 11:24:55 PM »
Make mine Jonquils and Tazettas, Azara microphylla, caraway thyme, santolinas, Daphne odora, Pelargonium x 'Mabel Grey' and a curious 'soft' shrub which we know as Citronella which looks a bit like marijuana (don't ask me how I know!) with square stems and a powerful scent when the leaves are brushed or crushed.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.