Nettle Purin

• 1 Replies

andrewsloan

Nettle Purin
« on: April 27, 2012, 06:13:14 PM »
My lunar calendar book talks about the benefits of using different plants growing in the countryside to provide a natural fertiliser and increase defenses against fungal diseases. I cut about 5 kgs of nettles 3 weeks ago and put them in a plastic rubbish bin with 100 litres of water and left it to ferment ,stirring the smelly mixture several times.After a week it was ready to be used as a spray against fungal diseases, filtering it from a tap at the bottom of the bin and diluting it 15 times with water, before giving my fruit trees and roses a nice spray. After 3 weeks it is ready to be used as a fertiliser, diluted 10 times with water: I find it practical to put the nettle purin in a 1 litre water bottle to mix with my 12 litre watering can and today, being a flowers day, I have been feeding it to all our flowers. It is my first time of doing this with nettles, although I did the same with comfrey leaves last year.

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Nettle Purin
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 09:12:27 PM »
Andrew this was taken from Grow Organic Food http://www.organicgarden.org.uk/gardening/pests-diseases/sprays-organic-for-pest-control/

Please note: under UK and EC law is is illegal to use any preparation as a pesticide that is not approved for such use. The information here is for historical reference only and does not imply a recommendation for use. If you disregard this warning and make any of the preparations you do so entirely at your own risk.

David
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.