Algarve in April

• 10 Replies

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
Algarve in April
« on: April 24, 2012, 06:15:56 PM »
Here are a few pics from a walk around the garden that I made yesterday. Things are perking up thanks to some showery rain in the last couple of weeks. Not enough to really soak everything, but the annuals especially are really making the most of what did fall.

The pics, in chronological order, show: Echium and Linum spp., with scatterings of Chrysanthemum coronarium in the background; Galactites tomentosum; Lavandula dentata var. candicans and various mixed-up L. stoechas-type hybrids with olive trees; one of our wild sweet peas (name for this would also be greatly appreciated); and Convolvolus althaeoides.
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
Re: Algarve in April
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 06:23:02 PM »
Here we have various meadow views: (l-r) Trifolium angustifolium, Lagurus ovatus and Bellardia trixago; the Bellardia en masse; Malva sp (sylvestris?); Anchusa azurea and Chrusanthemum coronarium with vineyard behind (from the roadside! So gorgeous I had to stop to take photos, and collect a posy for the house); the same with extra wild oats - it was a blustery stormy sort of an evening, you can see the oats trembling in the breeze.
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 06:26:56 PM »
And finally, some pomegranates doing that amazing zingy thing with the blue sky behind; Iris germanica (anyone dispute the species? Please let me know); Lavandula dentata; and Bauhinia variegata, LOVELY, planted it this winter and it is just like a big branch full of orchids!

But, apropos the Bauhinia, can anyone scratch the following itch for me? Its scent really, REALLY reminds me of something I used to grow in the UK; I cannot think what and it is driving me mad! Any clues?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 06:31:44 PM by Marilyn »

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 07:15:22 PM »
Marilyn, does the  scent of Bauhinia remind you of allspice? I suppose you did not grow the real allspice (Pimenta dioica) in the UK, but there are several other plants which also supposedly have a scent like allspice, according to Wikipedia: (Several unrelated fragrant shrubs are called "Carolina allspice" (Calycanthus floridus), "Japanese allspice" (Chimonanthus praecox) or "wild allspice" (Lindera benzoin). Allspice is also sometimes used to refer to the herb costmary (Tanacetum balsamita).
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 08:02:18 PM »
An inspiration, Marilyn: thanks! And Helena and I really liked your fascinating account of how Hapimag is going in the current issue of The Mediterranean Garden.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Casalima

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 08:35:48 PM »
Great photos, Marilyn! Some familiar looking plants there :) I've been in Portugal for 26 years, but the only time I went to the Algarve was before I moved here. In Portugal I am very much a northerner, accent and all!
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

ritamax

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 09:41:19 AM »
Absolutely beautiful pics, Marilyn, thank you!
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 09:51:38 AM »
Thanks for all the kind comments, guys and gals!

Jorun - good suggestions, but I don't think it is any of the allspices. Though we had Calycanthus and Chimonanthus growing in the college garden, I didn't have them in the gardens where I worked. And you are right, I never ran across Pimenta dioica at all over there. It feels like something a bit more common, I wonder if it is peonies? I shall have to draw up a list of all my favourite "smellies" and see if that brings something to light!

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 09:56:57 AM »
Oh, and Casalima, you should try the Algarve again, it's worth giving it a second chance. There is lots of development and Moorish heathens but still lots of wild beauty too... :D

I was in the north over Easter, near Lamego; spectacular scenery. Just gobsmacking. Also on a northerly tip, I have been meaning to check out the Ponte de Lima garden festival ever since I have been living here (getting on for four years now); is it worth a look?

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Scented plants
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 07:28:25 AM »
Yes please Marilyn - let's start a new topic for scented plants, something very important to me when choosing additions for the garden. Regarding Calycanthus its scent reminds me of Freesias - especially the purple ones - sharply peppery. By the way have members noticed that the purple varieties of some species have a much stronger perfume than other colours? I am thinking particularly here of Petunias that I use a lot in pots for summer colour. :)
I have split Carole's plea for a new topic on Scented plants from this discussion, and moved it to Miscellaneous. Thanks Carole, for the suggestion!
You can find the new topic on scented plants by clicking here.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 07:33:31 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 07:48:56 AM »
I'm not sure where I should place this answer, here or in the one on scented plants, but I choose to do it here as a reply to Marilyn's posting below.
I was going to suggest peonies as well, I have some in my garden in Oslo that smell of newly baked buns with cardamom.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.