Growing vegetables in Cephalonia

• 6 Replies

George

Growing vegetables in Cephalonia
« on: February 14, 2012, 04:03:32 PM »
My daughter Sarah and son in law Nick moved to Cephalonia 8 years ago now.
She has grown vegetables from seed but not all successfully. Mainly because she uses
the UK times for planting and they do not work out with the different
climate.
Could anyone inform me of any books or web pages on the subject?
She loves the locals but as Greeks they only tell you should have
done this and that after the event, they love fresh vegetables but would
like to plant them at the right time of the year.
Very wet in winter and dry in summer.
My Daughter and Son in Law live in Kefalonia and like to grow vegetables but would like to know about growing them in Greece

JTh

• Email
Re: Growing vegetables in Cephalonia
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 04:27:41 PM »
I have not had a chance to grow vegatables in Greece myself, since we are not there for long enough periods to keep anything like that alive, but I know from my neighbours that the planting times are different from what I would do here in Norway. As a start I believe the table in this link: http://www.peliti.gr/pages_eng/planting_season_of_vegetables.htm might give an idea.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 05:43:20 PM »
I suddenly remembered that I had seen that Dick Handscombe is going to give a talk on vegetable gardening in a mediterranean climate in April to the Languedoc Branch of the MGS, he is one of the authors (together with his wife Clodagh) of the book Growing Healthy Vegetables in Spain. The reviews I have seen of this book have been very favourable, also by people growing vegetables in Greece.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Ina

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 08:38:29 PM »
Hi George,
I don't know how fluent is your daughter in greek but there is a gardening blog that she couls find useful
 http://odigoskipou.blogspot.com/2010/06/blog-post_6081.html
and there is the following book as well
http://www.stamoulis.gr/ViewShopProduct.aspx?ProductId=401820&FromSearch=1&SearchStr=%EB%E1%F7%E1%ED%E9%EA%DC%20%E1%F0%FC%20%F4%E1%20%F7%DD%F1%E9%E1%20%F3%E1%F2

both of them are easily read and have practical advices.
I live in the west of Greece and have a small garden. I love flowers but I have few in my garden. I usually take pictures of flowers when I hike. I started making a blog with the flora that I see on my trips.

George

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:45:15 AM »
 ;D Thank you for yoir replies...they are very helpful
My Daughter and Son in Law live in Kefalonia and like to grow vegetables but would like to know about growing them in Greece

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 06:12:09 PM »
George, If a birthday's coming up, you might like to think about giving your daughter a book published in the UK in 2010, The Mediterranean Kitchen Garden, by Mariano Bueno, a well-known Spanish organic gardener. You can see more about the book by clicking here.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

George

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 12:17:36 PM »
Thanks for the infomation, whilst looking for The Mediterranean Kitchen Garden, by Mariano Bueno I came across this one Growing Healthy Vegetables in Spain
Clodagh Handscombe (Author)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/8489954534/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1