Calycanthus floridus

• 5 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Calycanthus floridus
« on: April 15, 2012, 06:37:48 AM »
When visiting a local nursery last week I spotted a most unusual shrub that was unknown to me. For once, wonder of wonders, it had a name tag - Calycanthus floridus. It was already in flower and they were most unusual being a deep chocolate brown. I resisted buying one but on returning home looked it up in my RHS book and am wondering still if it would be successful here. Have any members experience with this shrub? :-\
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Calycanthus floridus
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 06:38:19 AM »
 :( No replies to this posting yet - has nobody any experience of this shrub? :(
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 08:08:23 AM »
Never heard of it.

Going on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calycanthus, I see its native range spans from Pennsylvania to Florida, so in principle it should be hardy enough to withstand Mediterranean chills but also able to cope with hot summers. One wonders, however, how it would cope with the summer drought and sub-Floridian humidity; might need irrigation at least until established. Considering the native latitudinal range, provenance of the seed could affect how well it does in the Med.

I note its strong smell of camphor (op. cit.).
I have seen Cinnamomum camphora (camphor tree) for sale in Cyprus. The trees were vigorous and healthy (in big pots in the nursery). I was suprised to see them and to see them doing so well. It is a native of Taiwan, S. Japan, SE. China and Indochina, but has  naturalized in parts of the USA (Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, N. Carolina, Texas,  S. Carolina); in Florida it is a category I invasive species. In Australia, it is a noxious weed in Queensland and NSW.

Of course, having camphor in common is a trivial basis for comparison, but if Cinnamomum camphora manages to grow OK in Cyprus (and I have seen it only in the nursery, which is not a great guide), I would think the chances are that Calycanthus floridus might do OK, too.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 08:46:24 AM »
The hotel we stayed in 4 years ago in Florence had a beautiful specimen in their courtyard garden. I have tried to grow it from seed but, unfortunately, for some reason was unable to grow the seedlings on and they all died.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 05:55:24 PM »
 :)Thanks Mike and John for responding to my plea. I loved your reply Mike - "Never heard of it".However your reply John was most helpful, if it grows well in Florence it should be OK with me. Anyway I shall give it a go as I like to try new things. Once again the Forum has come up trumps! ;D

Casalima

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 09:40:50 PM »
It grows very well in north Portugal - where so many things do and where it's only Mediterranean in places!
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+