Sparaxis

• 7 Replies

Cali

Sparaxis
« on: April 07, 2012, 06:39:16 AM »
The Freesias I have had since time immemorial are referred to as "Wild Freesias" around here. They are scentless, creamy white, and multiply prolifically through tiny cormlets above ground. They're in flower now, and for the first time I've noticed one pink one among them. It's about time I looked into them. My standard Med reference books do not mention Freesias. Any ideas? How about the pink one? Is it worth saving the cormlets apart to reproduce, or are they an aberration?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:39:12 PM by Alisdair »
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President
Gardens in Corfu, Greece.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Sparaxis bulbifera ID by Oron
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 07:18:42 AM »
Cali
It seems to me like Sparaxis bulbifera rather then a Freesia.
I think it is worth separating the pink form, it is unusual.
Oron
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:35:30 AM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Cali

Sparaxis bulbifera ID by Oron
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 05:13:44 PM »
Thank you Oron! That's a relief to know. They never matched any freesia descriptions. I'll certainly save the pink.
Cali
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President
Gardens in Corfu, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Sparaxis grandiflora
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 07:41:57 PM »
Sparaxis grandiflora is a very variable South African species, growing between a few inches and about a foot high. The photo, taken today, is of S. grandiflora subsp. fimbriata. It's one of several plants growing in pots under glass in mediterranean conditions, here in Sussex, UK. There are three other subspecies, with flowers in other colours - from cream to violet, yellow or (very rare in cultivation) a deep vibrant plum red.
Like Cali's plants, S. grandiflora does best in mediterranean climates (it does well on rather alkaline clay in our hot Greek garden, where it was flowering a couple of weeks ago), but can tolerate more maritime conditions too. S. grandiflora has the biggest flowers of the genus. It increases well, the many bulblets growing to flowering size quite quickly.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Sparaxis
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 12:25:43 AM »
Every year I find myself saying "What an unusual year!". Now I just think the Mediterranean was created simply to perplex and frustrate gardeners. Sparaxis is a case in point. I rarely have success with them. I dot them around each year (bags of them are very cheap in supermarkets here) and usually that is the last I see of them. This year, the wettest winter I can remember, they are popping up all over!

Even more perplexing is the pot with just leaves showing. I bought some S. 'red' and some S. 'Skyline' at a plant show in Oct 2019. I planted them in different pots and hoped for something the following spring. Nothing. A few weeks ago I found a pot at the back of some shelves and started to throw out the soil in it. Luckily, I noticed some corms just starting to sprout new shoots. A full year without any water and only watered when I saw the shoots already sprouting. I think they are the S. 'red.'  Time will (might) tell.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Hilary

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 08:06:10 AM »
I hope they manage to make flowers before it becomes too hot

I am quite tempted to try Sparaxis next winter
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Charithea

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 02:46:46 PM »
David you are correct. Gardening in the Mediterranean area is challenging.  We did not have a heavy winter, we had a hot February and in between a few stormy and heavy rainy days and now Spring time we can see the  snowy peaks of Olympus.  There was snow on Friday night. We had hail and wind with some rain this morning.   Despite all these changes things are flowering.  We had bulbs coming up in places where we don't  remember planting them.  We do have Sparaxis that have come from Sparosa and they flower but later on in the Spring.  I have admired Fermi's bulbs and his patience for  years now and decided that I will try growing some Hippeastrums,  that my cactus friend recommended.  The snails were eating their leaves so John dug them up and put them in pots. Once they got bigger he has returned them to the ground. This is called ' Royal Red'. It is in fact a deeper red then it shows in the photo.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 02:49:02 PM by Charithea »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Sparaxis - mystery solved
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 09:10:47 AM »
I noticed some corms just starting to sprout new shoots. A full year without any water and only watered when I saw the shoots already sprouting. I think they are the S. 'red.'  Time will (might) tell.

They turned out not to be Sparaxis at all. Tritonia laxifolia. Another plant that rarely flowers for me. I suppose the 2 flowers I got this year are better than none  :)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.