Planting Iris

• 7 Replies

Alice

Planting Iris
« on: April 17, 2012, 12:28:06 PM »
I have just received a shipment of Iris germanica rhizomes from a supplier in England. I will not be in my Paros garden until mid-May.
What is the best course of action:
1. Plant them in mid-May and water them,
2. Plant them in mid-May in dry soil,
3. Store them - and under what conditions - before planting them in autumn?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Jill S

Re: Planting Iris
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 05:04:33 PM »
I think I would be inclined to pot them in something really free-draining and leave them outside in UK for the summer, then take them out to Paros in the autumn for permanent planting. That is unless you're going to be on the island for the summer and can keep an eye on them and water if they get stressed. Temperatures have been known to get up around 40C and that plus the wind makes it really hostile for plants. Good for people though!
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 08:36:59 PM »
Plant them in normal soil, leave outdoors until ready to travel.  Knockout and wash the tubers, wrap in damp newspaper, pack, travel and plant.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Jill S

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 09:30:45 PM »
Do you think that they would have a chance of surviving an Aegean island summer if planted mid to late May and not having had a chance to root before being left to the sun? if so this would open up an extra planting possibility for me too, so far I've avoided May planting but if some things would handle it then I'd give it a try!
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

Alice

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 01:30:00 AM »
I don't think they would survive an Aegean summer without having had a chance to develop roots. Also, I wouldn't be there to water them during the hottest months. But would they survive until the autumn if left unplanted?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

ezeiza

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 02:49:38 AM »
They have long fleshy perennial roots. If these were lost you have to activate the rhizome into producing them again. Pot them and place them in a morning sun position or strong indirect sun light. In the autumn plant them in their permanent location without disturbing the rootball.

Jill S

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 11:26:21 AM »
Alice, don't think they would survive unplanted until autumn, even here in UK think they would shrivel up their toes and die. Best wishes for May on the island, I'm not sure I'm looking forward to my spring visit, gather that the Palm weevil has been bad around Parikia and as we're not far out of the area I'm keeping my fingers crossed for our tree.

Alice

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 11:30:44 AM »
Thank you all for your helpful tips. I gather that, although the rhizomes look pretty dormant now, they will deteriorate if not planted for 4-5 months. Perhaps I should plant them where they will get some indirect water over the summer.