Plant list

• 7 Replies

JTh

• Email
Plant list
« on: July 09, 2011, 04:24:44 PM »
A few years ago there was an article (or maybe two) in the MGS journal with a quite extensive list of  plants for the mediterranean climate, with some comments on their suitability. My copies of the journal are a few thousand km away from where I am now (in Greece), and I wonder if it would be possible to get an online link to this article through this forum?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Plant list
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 06:57:11 PM »
Jorun, That's a good idea, but as far as I know the article or articles you mention are not on line. If you can persuade the MGS website editor to put the article on the MGS website itself, I could put a link in.
I hope this forum will in time build up to a being in effect a live list of suitable plants, full of both comments and pictures.
All suggestions welcome!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:59:55 PM »
I have forwarded the request to the website editor, so maybe. I believe I found the articles, it went further back than I remembered, they were probably printed in 2005 (No. 39 and 40).
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 10:05:29 AM »
The plant list for the MGS garden on the web site is a useful tool: you can see it here. Where the plant is growing is noted so you can tell if it is irrigated and in improved soil (in the beds) or out in the wild on the hillside or phrygana.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 10:21:37 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

JTh

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 05:59:46 PM »
Thank you Fleur, it is a beginning, but not quite the articles I had in mind,  I have been told by the MGS President that I may get the PDF-files from the Editor of the journal, so hopefully I can make a link to these directly. It would be less expensive (no need to create a new page on the website).

JTh

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 12:13:08 PM »
You can read the two articles on heat resistance by Patrick Mills, published in The Mediterranean Garden in 2005 and 2006, if you click here.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 04:21:02 PM »
It was good to reread Patrick’s article and it is certainly thought-provoking. However I found I had the same objection now as when I read it for the first time. His no 3 under ‘Further comments and caveats’ spells it out. The scoring system is a mixture of objective – how does the plant handle dry heat? – and subjective – what does it look like?. This is fine for a personal list of preferences but I would much rather there were two separate marks per plant. Thus a rosemary would get near perfect scoring on both heat resistance and appearance as would Pistacia lentiscus and Cneorum tricoccon, whereas Teucrium fruticans and Medicago arborea would get just as high marks for drought tolerance but would be noted as adapting to heat by the leaves drying up and dropping. I think that the medick looks great in summer – see below in the evening sunlight - while the teucrium is just OK. The fact the Patrick thinks the opposite demonstrates my point that the aesthetic judgement would have been better kept aside.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 05:16:43 PM by Alisdair »
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

JTh

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 07:46:06 PM »
Yes, I agree, the scoring system is somewhat coloured by the preferences of the author, but I still find it very useful and I see now why I have failed with many of the plants I have tried to plant. I also got some new ideas of what I may try out, hopefully with more success.