Le Jardin des Plantes de Montpellier, France

• 4 Replies

seanaohara

• seanaohara.wordpress.com
    • Email
Le Jardin des Plantes de Montpellier, France
« on: March 26, 2012, 07:15:38 PM »

France's oldest botanic garden, created in 1593, lies just west of the old quarter of Montpellier, close to the Cathédrale Saint-Pierre.  This Jardin des Plantes was the inspiration for the more famous garden of the same name in Paris, which was created some time later.  Efforts are underway to restore the Montpellier garden as local interest in this treasure has increased in recent years.  But I hope they maintain some of the poetic 'faded grandeur' of this site!  I became fascinated by this garden 12 years ago during my first visit, which led me to research its rich history (I recently pulled together a talk to give here in California about that history).  Such an amazing number of pivotal events (scientific, cultural, anecdotal) involve this long-time botanical institution, editing my talk became more about what to leave out due to lack of time and potentially overwhelming the audience.  If you have the chance to visit this charming garden, do make the effort.  And prepare yourself ahead of time by reading whatever you can find (mostly in French) about its history.

I was inspired to create a Flickr photo group pool of this garden:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/jardin_des_plantes_de_montpellier/
I invite you to join Flickr and add your own photos to the group!
 :)

Some photo 'excerpts' from this Flickr group:

The Cathédrale Saint-Pierre is in the lower left of this satellite view of Le jardin des Plantes.

The stately old grand entrance (the current entrance is up the street to the right).

« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 07:25:12 PM by seanaohara »

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Le Jardin des Plantes de Montpellier, France
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:37:06 AM »
Seán O'Hara is the guru behind the Medit-Plants forum, our "older brother", which he started in 1993/4 and which goes from strength to strength.
Seán, who is based in Northern California and has been a long champion of the Mediterranean Garden Society, was really generous in his support for us when we started this MGS forum.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

ritamax

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 11:41:49 AM »
Thank you for sharing!!!
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

Pescalune

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 08:00:43 PM »
Many thanks, Seán , for your continued support of the "Jardin des Plantes" of Montpellier!
I hope to see you again there, quite soon.
Jean
Pescalune

Trevor Australis

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 07:12:53 AM »
 :) Strange to think I was there just last week being shown around by the snr botanist and the curator of the newly restored/ rebuilt conservatory, Francois Georges. I have some fresh seeds of Puya mirabilis to send him. Thanks for the pics Sean; it was drizzling rain while I was there and my camera was locked in the boot of a car parked under Place de la Comedie. Nice walk back thru the medieval city tho.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.