possible impact of solar energy station on plants, trees and animals

• 3 Replies

Anna

The government here in Greece is passing tomorrow, a change to the law protecting a large tract of land on mount Penteli.  This is to allow a very large solar energy station (3,500 hectares the coverage of the mirrors themselves, or 6,500 hectares if you count the space between the mirrors as well) to be established on the mountain. Large parts of this mountain have already suffered from extensive fires in the last few years.
This would be the largest solar station in Greece and one of the largest in Europe. Although very much in favour of solar energy, my worry is that such a very large station might have negative impacts on the local plants and trees - particularly any small trees struggling to get started after the fires.
Please does anyone know anything about this, or can you direct me where to find information.  I didn't get much help googling but maybe did not put in the right words
many thanks for help on this

David Bracey

• Email
Re: possible impact of solar energy station on plants, trees and animals
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 05:09:15 PM »
Anna you may like to contactr Professor Aristotelis Papageorgiou, apapage@fmenr.duth.gr .  He gave a paper at the Athens AGM on "Fires and how to prevent them".  He may be able to help or steer you in the right direction.

David
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Anna

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 09:41:21 AM »
thanks David, I'll do that.  We think they may be withdrawing the change to the law (allowing use of this supposedly hihgly protected land) but no-one trusts them, not to bring it back later because there is very big money involved.   When I googled it just said that small solar stations don't harm the environment but large one do, and this was planned to be the largest in Greece
bye for now

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 11:32:26 AM »
I think the solar station would add diversity to the microenvironment, which could have benefits. For instance, the areas under the panels would receive less net heat from the sun, and if it was possible for plants to grow there (even little ones), they might appreciate the shading and flourish, possibly providing bee-feeding opportunities for longer in the season. Depending on how the ground below the panels is managed, storm run-off could be a problem. A lot of guesswork!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England