Tritonia

• 1 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Tritonia
« on: July 09, 2011, 11:18:39 AM »
Tritonias are well suited to mediterranean climates, as many (not all) of these southern Africa plants come from winter rainfall areas, with dry summers. The easiest to find from bulb suppliers are the bright orange T. crocata and deep pink or purplish T. squalida. A mystery plant I was given by Brian Mathew as "Tritonia sp. (pink)" has bulked up well for me under glass here in the UK, and I have now planted a lot of them in the un-irrigated part of our hot Greek garden, where they flower well in March. The pink fades almost to white in full sun, but is a clearer creamy pink in part shade, as shown in this photo.
Do you think this may be a hybrid?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

ezeiza

Re: Tritonia
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 09:53:34 PM »
Tritonias hybridize more easily than one could suppose. There are several forms of winter growing T. lineata in the trade and several forms of Tritonia crocata. If several species of Tritonia are grown together hybrid seedlings would appear, most very attractive, that can be further propagated by offsetting.

Of course this is not so good if one thinks of propagating species Tritonias pure.