Erica confirmed by Jorun as E. arborea

• 2 Replies

Cali

Erica confirmed by Jorun as E. arborea
« on: March 18, 2012, 10:52:14 AM »
I'd like to have confirmed my tentative ID of a wild white heather that is flowering now here in Corfu. I'm afraid the photo is not very good but it does show some of the "bells" in detail. I've long assumed it to be an E. arborea. The large upright woody shrubs (2-3m) with mostly vertical branches have been in flower for about ten days now.  What made me question my ID was that Blamey/Grey-Wilson has it flowering in May-June. The only other possibility seems to be E.scoparia.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:02:18 AM by Alisdair »
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President
Gardens in Corfu, Greece.

JTh

• Email
Re: Erica
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 11:49:22 AM »
I believe you are right, Cally, and  Blamey/Grey-Wilson wrong. It is usually in bloom when we arrive in Halkidiki in April, but the flowers seem to have been around for a while, so it probably starts blooming earlier. According to Lafranchis & Sfikas, flowering time is March-May.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Erica
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 01:50:44 PM »
I'm sure you are right about that, Jorun. Even here in the UK Erica arborea is already starting to come into flower.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society