Double Oxalis confirmed by Jorun as a form of O. pes-caprae

• 3 Replies

Cali

Double Oxalis confirmed by Jorun as a form of O. pes-caprae
« on: March 16, 2012, 03:45:39 PM »
Besides the ubiquitous pes caprae I see more and more another Oxalis, shorter, with double flowers of a much warmer yellow, reddish as it matures. The leaves seem lower and denser. Is it a pes caprae or something else altogether?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:01:09 AM by Alisdair »
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President
Gardens in Corfu, Greece.

JTh

• Email
Re: Double Oxalis
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 04:14:41 PM »
The double Oxalis pes-caprae is described in Flowers of Greece (Lafrancis & Sfikas, Vol. I): 'Plants with double flowers  (with 10 orange-yellow flowers are found locally'). There are some nice photos of these on the DVD that was included with the books.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 12:26:25 PM by JTh »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

pamela

Re: Double Oxalis
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 08:17:46 PM »
Dear Cali
I, too have this double oxalis in a few places and I love it. I do not pull it out like the single version. It does have a pretty red hue.  Do you have this oxalis problem in Greece as well ?? I spend hours pulling them out. I really do not know how to get rid of them. Someone from SoCal told me you should always CUT them off at ground level rather than pulling them as this starves the bulbs which then die. Have you heard this? 
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Oxalis pes-caprae - how to control it
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 02:16:46 PM »
The discussion which Pamela has started about how to control Oxalis pes-caprae as a weed has now been moved, as a separate topic, to Pests and Diseases - it certainly can be a pest!
You can find the discussion by clicking here.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society