Plant associations

• 63 Replies

Daisy

Re: Plant associations
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2013, 02:23:00 PM »
Lovely combinations. I particularly like the Felicia and Euphorbia together.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Daisy

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2013, 07:54:33 AM »
I took this photo yesterday. It was a very dark, overcast, dreary, December day, but these two plants seemed to glow in the gloom.
Brugmansia Berkonigin and Cestrum elegans I believe.

016 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

004 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

018 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Daisy

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2014, 05:21:30 PM »
Here is an unplanned combination.
Lobelia laxiflora angustifolia growing through an ivy-leaved pelargonium.
Or vice versa, I'm not sure which.

Tulipa chrysantha family with Felicia amelloides.

Early this morning I was sitting looking at a Covolvulous cneorum and noticed that the flush of colour on the backs of the petals seemed to pick up the colour of whichever plant they were next to.

Do you see what I mean?

Hilary

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2014, 05:10:48 PM »
What colour in your garden, lovely
You have also helped me name a flower photo  I had waiting in a queue.
Convolvulus cneorum.
I saw it growing in an untended flower bed in the pedestrian precinct here in Corinth.
No care at all and only watered when it rains
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Daisy

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2014, 10:12:38 AM »
Hilary, Convolvulous cneorum is easy-peasy. As long as it has some sunshine it is happy. It would do well in a pot on your balcony.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Convolvulus cneorum
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2014, 06:52:16 PM »
Here it is flowering at the MGS garden at Sparoza, on a hot sunny bank. Photo taken this last Tuesday:
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Daisy

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2014, 08:26:30 AM »
Wine red Verbena x hybrida with rose Perdita.

Daisy

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2015, 09:57:53 AM »
Here are a few more photos that I took yesterday, in the jungle!

Sedum i forget and a cerise pelargonium with a dark pink Salvia behind.

IMG_4264 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

IMG_4262 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

A lantana engulfing an Aeonium arboreum.

IMG_4266 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

IMG_4265 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Caroline

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2015, 01:21:00 AM »
"Spring Green" tulips growing in an old copper, surrounded by Euphorbia characias.  I can not claim any credit for this combination, since the Euphorbia are self-sown; I didn't have the heart to pull them out of the gravel when they looked so healthy!
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Daisy

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2015, 03:11:41 PM »
That is a very elegant combination Caroline and I envy you that beautiful old copper.

Alevin

• La Mortella
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2015, 09:14:06 AM »
Daisy, where did you find Brugmansia Berkonigin? Was it in Italy? I am looking for it...
Alessandra - Garden Director- Giardini La Mortella, Ischia, zone 9-10

Daisy

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2015, 08:14:04 AM »
Sorry for the delay in answering your question Alevin. I have only just seen it.
I got my brugsmansias from England, from a very helpful Italian gentleman, Luigi Valducci. He doesn't have a web site, but sent me a list of his brugmansias.
He packed them beautifully and they arrived in really good condition.
His e-mail address is, valducci@uwclub.net
Hope this helps.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2016, 12:45:42 AM »
I love the way these flowers blend in: the pink of the indigofera pseudotinctoria, the blue penstemon and the mauve nepeta,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Charithea

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2016, 05:39:33 AM »
Beautiful combination
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2016, 07:23:36 AM »
Sorry I do not have a 'photo to illustrate this suggestion but am currently experiencing problems with my Photogene Ap regarding reducing files........However as I have been working in the garden this week I have been struck by how beautiful the now flowering Euphorbia characias look together with Rosemary.
Since the Euphorbia self seed prolifically many of them, that have escaped my notice as small plants, are right in amongst the sprawling Rosemary bushes ( also in flower) and the effect, from two easy to grow plants, is stunning.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.