Cornwall in May

• 9 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Cornwall in May
« on: March 07, 2012, 07:18:33 PM »
Any suggestions for lesser known, but worth seeing ,gardens inCornwall during the month of May anyone?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

pamela

Re: Cornwall in May
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 04:01:02 PM »
Well, if I going to Cornwall my first stop would be Burncoose Gardens and Nursery.  I haven't been but it sounds a wonderful place.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

pamela

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 04:10:35 PM »
Typo...If I WERE going..........sorry!
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Daisy

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 02:44:02 PM »
Umbrian, I don't know about lesser known gardens, but my personal favourites are;
Trebah Gardens
Lost Gardens of Heligan
The Eden Project
Bosvigo
If you like wandering around Garden Centres, then, Bodmin Plant and Herb Nursery is not far away from Trelawney Garden Leisure and one tiny one full of treasures, is Constantine Garden Nursery which is not too far away from Trevenna Cross Nursery.
However, my very best one, which is worth all the trouble of reaching it, is, Tresco Abbey Gardens.
This to me is a magical place.
You can fly from Newquay Airport, or take a helicopter from Penzance, or a ferry from Penzance
I went there a couple of times, when I lived in Cornwall, once in February and once in July.
Both times have given me the most wonderful memories.
Have a look at this website.

http://www.gardensofcornwall.com/

Of the gardens they list, that I visited, the only ones that I found slightly disappointing were;
Pinsla Garden and Nursery. A bit run down and straggly.
The Japanese Garden and Bonsai Nursery. Old, dark and boring.
Burncoose Gardens and Nursery. Wonderful R.H.S. show displays, but the gardens and nursery, to me, did not come up to expectations.
Bear in mind that all of these are personal opinions and that the gardens may have been refurbished, since my visits.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 07:09:33 PM »
I'd add Trewithen and Trengwainton to Daisy's list, though it's many years since we've been there.
In St Mawes right beside the Tresanton Hotel (which I like but which is expensive) there's quite an interesting steep terraced garden that aims at a Mediterranean style and is probably the closest to a Mediterranean garden that can be found in the unlikely climate of Cornwall.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:11:10 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 07:02:28 AM »
Many thanks Alasdair and Daisy for your suggestions that I shall look into - obviously it will be more a trip down memory lane than a search for Mediterranean gardens but your responses show how useful the Forum can be in so many ways. :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

cycnich

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 05:19:46 PM »
The whole of the Cornish coastal path is better than any garden and in May a sea of colour and beautiful plants in their natural habitat. Hard work in places but worth every effort

Pat Nicholls Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 05:26:05 PM »
Better get your hiking boots on, Carole: Pat's pictures make that coastal path very tempting!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

cycnich

• Email
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 06:07:50 PM »
A few more pictures to whet your appetite
Pat Nicholls Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 09:49:39 AM »
 :) What a wonderful response to my query and some very tempting suggestions. The photographs did indeed whet my appetite but I fear there will not be time to do much long distance walking and the hiking boots may have to stay at home. :-\ So far we have booked a couple of nights at the hotel you suggested Alasdair and are planning an itinerary in that area. Bosvigo seems an absolute must.
Many thanks to all members who posted :)