Gardens near Menton, France

• 7 Replies

ritamax

Gardens near Menton, France
« on: March 04, 2012, 04:23:27 PM »
Serre de la Madone, a very beautiful secluded garden on the slope near Menton.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:44:50 PM by Alisdair »
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Serre de la Madone, Menton, France
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 07:22:46 PM »
Thanks for those pictures, Rita - brought back memories of going there with Helena a few years ago. We were particularly impressed by the big lazy terrapins!
It was started in the 1920s by Lawrence Johnston, the American perhaps better known (at least in the UK) for his garden in England, Hidcote.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:45:09 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

pamela

Clos Du Peyronnet, Menton, France
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 09:24:19 PM »
Serre de la Madone is a beautiful and interesting garden but my absolute favorite in the Menton area is William Waterfields' Clos Du Peyronnet,..... now that is some garden... the setting of a wonderful Belle Époque  villa.  To me there is something very special and vibrant about gardens that are 'lived in'.  
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:46:08 PM by Alisdair »
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

ritamax

Re: Clos Du Peyronnet, Menton, France
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 08:57:27 AM »
Thanks for the tip, never heard of it... :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:46:29 PM by Alisdair »
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 01:52:53 PM »
Another thing about William Waterfield's garden is that he has collected all sorts of really interesting plants, especially unusual fruit cultivars, and South African and other bulbs.
His garden really deserves its own separate mention, so I suppose we ought to split these last few posts off as a separate topic - or, what about changing the title of this one to Gardens near Menton?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:46:47 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

ritamax

Villa & Jardins Ephrussi de Rothschild
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 06:19:46 PM »
Yes, Alisdair, please, change the topic name (I am afraid to do something wrong) as there are really a lot to see around Menton. Like this famous Villa & Jardins Ephrussi de Rothschild in Cap Ferrat.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:48:07 PM by Alisdair »

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Gardens near Menton, France
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 06:50:07 PM »
OK Rita, all done!
Anyone adding other gardens near Menton, before you post your topic it's a good idea to change the subject line at the top of your message from the default (which will show as Re: Gardens near Menton, France) to the name of the garden.
Alisdair Aird

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 09:59:43 PM »
Another thing about William Waterfield's garden is that he has collected all sorts of really interesting plants, especially unusual fruit cultivars, and South African and other bulbs.
His garden really deserves its own separate mention, so I suppose we ought to split these last few posts off as a separate topic - or, what about changing the title of this one to Gardens near Menton?

Yes, I luckily saw his Urginea maritima, blooming in early September. A ravishment!
And I love the way cupresses are pruned, so that they form a pergola.... A very nice garden.
I could next time write some lines about it (in an appropriate post, of course !!)
Gabriel
MGS member, between Paris and my Nafplio garden...

Blog : www.jardinscosmopolites.com
FB : www.facebook.com/ateliergabriel