Gardens of note in Eastern Med?

• 3 Replies

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
Gardens of note in Eastern Med?
« on: August 01, 2012, 11:23:34 AM »
Hello all,

Having a teacher husband means we have to travel in August, but at least we have a fair amount of time to play with and, as we have done the last two years, we will probably be hopping in the car and pootling around to wherever the wind takes us. We have a rough destination in mind - Athens or even further south - and will probably come through via Croatia, possibly deviating out to Hungary and other neighbouring lands on the way there or back.

As it is looking unlikely that I will be able to go on the Croatia trip next May, are there any gardens from that tour that might be open to the public or by appointment? Sparoza is on the list, of course, if we do make it as far as Athens, but what of the rest of Greece? Photos and descriptions from members of the Peloponnese region sound wonderful...

Suggestions, both for driving routes through and gardens along the way, are welcome!
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
Re: Gardens of note in Eastern Med?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 11:25:14 AM »
On reflection, I suppose that "gardens" is somewhat spurious; I should really say gardens and landscapes in general, along with spectacular towns, cities, buildings etc... I may be a plant fanatic but it is not an exclusive passion! :)
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 06:42:00 AM »
Marilyn, I'll send you privately the draft itinerary of our MGS Croatia trip, in case it helps your planning.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 08:50:20 AM »
Thank you! Definitely helpful indeed.