Guess what this is 33 NOW SOLVED

• 3 Replies

Pescalune

Guess what this is 33 NOW SOLVED
« on: February 27, 2012, 03:37:11 PM »
I expect it won't take long before you guess what plant this is: although it is not at all a mediterranean native, I have been growing it for several years in my garden (but in a pot).
Jean
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:36:34 AM by Alisdair »
Pescalune

John

Re: Guess what this is 33
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 10:33:59 PM »
I would say that it is the fruit of an Hedychium but I don't know which one!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Pescalune

Re: Guess what this is 33
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:32:02 AM »
Yes, it is the beautiful fruit of an Hedychium gardnerianum, I believe.
I thought it might be fun to quiz the participants of the Forum, but John is really too good!

This is the first time in many years that our Hedychiums have produced a single fruit and eventually I hope 3 seeds?

We found the best way to keep our Hedychiums alive during the summer droughts was to cultivate them in double pots: a regular plastic one for the plant itself, a slightly larger terra cotta one without a hole to keep the water below, where the roots can develop and keep moist; we simply add a little water once every ten days approximately.
Pescalune

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Guess what this is 33 NOW SOLVED
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 10:18:07 AM »
John and John J have added some further comments on hedychiums, which I have moved to the Hedychiums topic on the Perennials board. To see them, click here.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society