Orthosiphon aristatus/cat's whiskers

• 3 Replies

Chantal

Orthosiphon aristatus/cat's whiskers
« on: August 25, 2011, 08:39:16 AM »
Cela n'est vraiment pas un sujet méditerranéen, mais je cherche des graines de cette plante depuis très longtemps. Elle est surement d'origine tropicale, car je ne l'ai rencontrée que dans des jardins tropicaux.
Je pourrais peut-être la cultiver en pots comme une annuelle et non pas comme une vivace.
Quelqu'un connaît-il cette plante ?
Sorry, Alisdair, perhaps you are going to delete my message, because it is out of topic.
Translation for Anglophones: It's not really a mediterranean subject, but I've been looking for seeds of this plant for ages. It  must come from the tropics, as I've seen it only in tropical gardens. Perhaps I'd be able to grow it in pots as an annual, and not as a perennial.
Does anyone know it?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 09:40:07 AM by Alisdair »
Chantal Guiraud
Montpellier-France
MGS Seed Coordinator

"The flowers of spring are winter's dreams told in the morning at the table of the angels" (Khalil Gibran)

Daisy

Re: Orthosiphon aristatus/cat's whiskers
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 08:53:45 AM »
What a fascinating plant. I had never heard of it.
I  found a lot of information about it on this website.
Daisy :)

http://www.stuartxchange.org/KablingGubat.html
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
I wouldn't dream of stopping you talking about such an interesting plant, Chantal!
Have you tried B & T World Seeds? I've bought from this firm in the past and found it good, especially for larger quantities of seed.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Chantal

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 07:33:57 AM »
Thank you Daisy for this useful website that I did not know.
Alisdair, I know this seed saler, but never ordered from them. They have the species (1 gr for 12 euros) and it is a high price for seeds, but I suppose that 1 gr is a lot of seeds. I don't think I need so many seeds.
Chantal Guiraud
Montpellier-France
MGS Seed Coordinator

"The flowers of spring are winter's dreams told in the morning at the table of the angels" (Khalil Gibran)