Guess what this is 29 - NOW SOLVED

• 29 Replies

John

Re: Guess what this is 29
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 09:37:34 AM »
Is it in the Cyclanthaceae?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 11:20:19 AM »
Nope, Asparagales.
Here is another pic, I am sure you will get it this time:
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

John

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 11:30:26 AM »
It could be that I just don't know it!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 11:31:11 AM »
Mike and Oron are quite quiet!
John

JTh

• Email
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 01:50:42 PM »
It reminds me of a giant grass, but I have no idea what this is.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 02:28:18 PM »
Is it Nolina?
John

Ina

• Email
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 02:40:43 PM »
is it some kind of yucca?
I live in the west of Greece and have a small garden. I love flowers but I have few in my garden. I usually take pictures of flowers when I hike. I started making a blog with the flora that I see on my trips.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 03:14:59 PM »
Dasylirion?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 04:58:33 PM »
Yes I think you're there with Dasylirion.
John

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 06:26:01 PM »
Got it! Well done, Jorun. Dasylirion wheeleri it is. :D
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

JTh

• Email
Re: Guess what this is 29 - NOW SOLVED
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 07:03:59 PM »
Lucky again, I must admit I have never before seen or heard about this. You certainly  made me very curious, I have to find out what it really looks like.

John

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 11:15:53 PM »
Yes you certainly don't grow them in Norway and they're not around London either. Not even in pot culture.
John

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 03:44:13 PM »
A rare treat to see the flower, and in close-up too: thanks very much, Marilyn!
In mediterranean conditions dasylirions grow quite quickly to a large size, and their flowering stems grow amazingly quickly. We had one in a never-watered cactus and succulent bed at the front of the house, and during one fortnight's stay a flowering stem which had been just visible from the leaf rosette on our arrival had reached bedroom window height by the time we left - too soon to see it actually flower, which we never did. The plant died a couple of years later, after a particularly long dry hot summer (I don't know whether that was the cause).
I think our plant was Dasylirion acrotrichum, but it may have been D. wheeleri like Marilyn's splendid plant. Chief drawback was the row of vicious small spines along each leaf edge, which both species have and which left my arms punctured all over on my rare attempts to tidy off the old dead leaves. Another slighter drawback was that our plant, when it developed a trunk (as it quite quickly did), decided that standing upright was much too hard work in the hot Greek sunshine, so instead it sprawled along the ground - I've seen this happen elsewhere in the Mediterranean.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 04:18:27 PM »
Here's a picture I took on Isola Madre (Lago Maggiore, Italy) of a rather sprawly old dasylirion.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 04:26:12 PM »
That looked rather splendid, Alisdair. I believe I did see it after all last year when we travelled in the southeastern states of the US.
I saw this: do not use near foot traffic, it is not a plant for cuddling.