Palms

• 42 Replies

ezeiza

Re: Palms
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 02:53:14 AM »
Absolutely, and very effective. As said above, cases of affected plants in the wild are practically unknown. I can not really say if it is an insect, a bird or a bat but to all effects, it does exist.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 12:43:50 PM »
"Ask the Expert" covered some of the points earlier this year and I attach the question and answer.  Of course the problem is dynamic and continuing to evolve.  We could use the Forum to create a data base for these two pests.

Question  - "This year we noticed a very beautiful moth in our garden in the Languedoc Roussillon part of France and took some pictures of it. I wonder if you know this moth? I understand that it comes originally from South America and that it is harmful to palm trees."
Read the answer.

Answer (December 2009) - "This is a photograph of Paysandisia archon, a moth belonging to the Castniidae family with a palm-boring caterpillar. It is a native pest of Argentina and Uruguay and was first recorded in France in 1999, in Spain in 2001 and in Mallorca in 2003. It is now recorded throughout the Mediterranean Basin including in France, Italy, Spain and the Balearic islands. Its larvae attack many palms, but prefer - in order - Chamaerops humilis, Phoenix canariensis, Trachycarpus fortunei and Washingtonia spp.

At home the Paysandisia archon larva infests palm trees but it is kept in check by natural predators and parasites. It appears to have been brought to Europe accidentally on imported palms which are now being planted by many municipalities throughout the Mediterranean Basin to replace the existing plane trees, many of which are old and diseased.

The beautiful moth is large, some 90-110mm across, with dark green front wings with brown streaking, and bright red back wings with bold black and white markings. The adults fly during the day from May to September. Eggs are laid in the palm crowns where the grubs hatch. The caterpillar first eats tender leaves at the heart and then bores into the trunk during a period of one to two years.The first sign of attack is a very regular series of holes in the emerging fronds. Later, there will be piles of sawdust mixed with excrement at the base of the fronds and finally, after pruning, holes and even cocoons will be seen in the base. The grub will over-winter and will stay in the larval stage for up to 18 months. Without control the plant will eventually wilt and die.

Detection and control are difficult as larvae cannot be seen or reached easily within the crown. Periodic inspections will reveal any damage in the emerging young fronds. Chamaerops humilis is especially vulnerable as its heart is so small. Since this moth is not a pest in its native country no control method has yet been developed. It is believed that the moth could spread to a much larger region in the future if measures are not taken; however, natural predators may also be introduced with the imported palms.

A good soaking of the heart with an insecticide containing chlorpyriphos and dimethoate should be effective; this is not a general recommendation, however, and appropriate authorities should be contacted before any attempt is made to spray these pests.

In Nîmes, specimen palms are covered with large plastic netting to prevent egg-laying but this does take away some of the beauty of the palm tree.

Rhynchophorus ferrugineus is another pest of imported palm trees. This is a member of the coleoptera originating in Asia and Malaysia which arrived in Spain in 1995 and was first detected in Mallorca in 2006. It attacks a great variety of palms, with a preference for Phoenix canariensis, Phoenix dactylifera, and Washingtonia spp.

The adult is 2-5cm long and 1 cm wide, coloured red, with black spots on the body, corrugated wing sheaths, and a long beak.

The first parts of the palm to be attacked are the most tender leaves at the heart and then the trunk. Usually the first sign of damage is the collapse of the central fronds, by which time the palm is moribund.

In view of the dangers posed by this pest and the absence to date of effective treatments, experiments are being carried out in many different areas of the Mediterranean, ranging from spraying regularly through the summer, through avoiding pruning except in the winter, to zapping the crown of an infected palm with a batch of microwave "ovens" mounted on extended forklifts.

Please see page 15 of TMG 56 for additional information"
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

ezeiza

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 01:31:04 PM »
Most interesting. Absurd control methods are interesting as well.

I am sure you have in Europe capsules/granules of (slow release?) systemic insecticides that could be applied to the crown of accesible palms. Perhaps part of the foliage could be reached by a solution of systemic insectide´. Having such a long period as an immature, a regular program should erradicate it.  Of course some import ban is necessary.   

The damage to certain slow growing species such as the fantastic Trithrinax campestris is devastating.                                                                                   

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 02:12:36 PM »
Imidacloprid, either injected into the growing part of the plants or used as a soil drench, seems to have given good protection in experimental conditions, but I don't know whether it's proved at all effective in practice, on a field scale. And imidacloprid is expensive! (A shame, as it is persistent and highly effective against a very wide range of pests of other plants, and does not seem to have deleterious environmental effects....)
Probably well worth trying, to protect valuable, rare or much-loved specimens.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alevin

• La Mortella
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 06:25:12 PM »
We spray every third week alternating Imidacloprid and Clorpirifos-metyl, with a thorough, deep soaking of the crown (it has to overflow), and making sure we wet all leaves, and even the trunk and soil below. On the taller palms, such as Washingtonia, we installed a device: a long pipe that runs all along the trunk and ends with a swans' neck curve and a showerhead just above the crown. We insert the pump's hose at the base of the pipe and pump the spray up to the crown.
Alessandra - Garden Director- Giardini La Mortella, Ischia, zone 9-10

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 07:24:07 PM »
Really helpful, Alessandra! Thanks.
Is the weevil present elsewhere on Ischia yet?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

ezeiza

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 07:48:40 PM »
Alessandra, I was wondering: how can chlorpyrifos (contact) improve on the effect of imidacloprid (systemic)?

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 08:40:47 PM »
Alevin there are two biological products that are worth looking at.  The first is a nematode preparation based on Steinernema and the second is an entomophagus fungi based on Beauvaria.  It is important to target the stage of the insect and the product, for example the nematode is probably more active on the larvae while Beauvaria will be more active on the adult moth. Check with INRA.

I`m not sure of the life cycle of the two beasts but 3 weeks may be too long; 2 weeks would be better .  I assume you have adults flying in from  outside to reinfest.  Chlorpyrifos-methyl is quite toxic and the operators should wear protective gear. You could look at an imidachloprid analogue, thioprid . The problem with any systemic is to get enough product to the target to be lethal.  Contact sprays are far more effective against adults but not against larvae embedded in the tree

To answer ezeiza the combined action of two chemicals with different modes of activity will offer a greater efficacy.....at least in theory. David
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

ezeiza

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 08:59:53 PM »
That was the reason for the question. Using a contact insecticide on a flying moth or beetle or the larvae in the palm's crown is a shot in the dark.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 09:06:27 PM »
Ezeiza, you are not trying to hit a flying insect but rather relying on its contact or ingestion activity.
MGS member.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 09:13:19 PM »
that is of the chemical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MGS member.

HansA

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 03:41:20 PM »
Both, Paysandisia archon and Rhynchophorus ferrugineus are serious plagues also on Mallorca - many palmtrees are affected.
Were they in the past only common in some areas they seem to be widespread actually. Here some pics, first of the beetle Rhynchophorus ferrugineus (taken last week) and one of a Phoenix affected by Paysandisia archon (taken today) - the damage of Rhynchophorus ferrugineus is very similar.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:43:44 PM by HansA »
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2011, 05:08:55 PM »
A friend of mine who gardens further west in the Algarve told me that she lost a large Chamaerops humilis to one or other of these plagues - she was not present when it was discovered and removed, so could not say for sure whether it was the moth or the weevil, but going on the information here it is probably the moth. All to say that there are neither safe zones in southern Europe, nor "safe" palm species... :(

Having seen pictures of the moth, I am quite sure I have seen it, thinking (as did the person in France) "Oh what a pretty thing!" How looks can be deceiving! :P
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

HansA

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2011, 09:58:22 PM »
Here the grey/blue  Chamaerops humilis var. cerifera from morocco in my garden, it grows a bit slower than the normal green form.
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect

GRJoe

• Email
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 01:23:58 PM »
Here is an interesting design idea for a dead Phoenix canariensis stype, which probably fell victim to the red palm weavil. Campsis covered it completely with a impressive effect. Now, I am not sure if it is 100% safe to leave a rotting stipe in the garden, as I imagine it will collapse one day. Maybe as a temporary display then?
Joe Breidi
Occasional gardening and garden design wherever possible! Currently living in Puglia, Italy. Special interest in dry climate gardening, and in preserving wildlife.