Globularia

• 5 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Globularia
« on: February 12, 2012, 06:38:31 PM »
Globularia alypum is a small shrub of the Mediterranean phrygana or garrigue. Different populations usually flower either in the autumn (as in some coastal parts of the Western Mediterranean) or in the spring. In our coastal area of southern Greece, which is relatively very mild in winter, its flowering usually peaks in January, but lasts for three months or so.
In midwinter, when there's often little else in flower, its mass of steely blue flowers on wiry reddish flowering stems is a striking and welcome sight. It has twiggy branches and very small stiff leathery leaves.
It is utterly drought-hardy, being found in the driest and hottest rocky limestone areas. It can take quite hard frost if perfectly drained.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Globularia
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 08:53:07 AM »
Have you ever propagated this? Sally managed at the umpteenth try and now has a beautiful specimen in the Saproza garden. You can find plants at the Kaisariani nursery but none I've bought have ever survived. I think they get pot bound very easily. I'm encouraged to try again, though.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:09:31 AM »
I have so far failed completely with seed. Apparently taking cuttings of the soft new shoots that grow after flowering has finished and before the terminal flowerbuds form is the best method, so we're going to try this when we come out next (in April).
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

fragman

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 06:52:26 AM »
Globularia arabica is the eastern Mediterranean and desert "cousin". It is even more drought resistant. It hates chalgy soils, so no success in Jerusalem. But in coastal gardens ni Israel it is doing well.
Ori Fragman-Sapir
Jerusalem Botanical Gardens

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 07:12:42 AM »
Thanks, Ori!
It would be interesting to cross the two....
Alisdair Aird

Sandra

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 02:44:01 PM »
I spotted what I assumed to be Globularia alypum growing in the Rindomo gorge, Messinia, Greece. Sorry my photo isn't very good but I was very taken with the plant. I plan to return in the next week or so to see if there is any material suitable for cuttings and all tips on successful propagation would be appreciated.
Sandra Panting
I garden in the Southern Peloponnese, Greece and will soon be creating a small garden in Northampton, England.  I'm co-head of the MGS Peloponnese group and a member of the RHS.