A tree planting project

• 1 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
A tree planting project
« on: February 11, 2012, 04:02:11 PM »
MGS member Frank Joyce, an arboriculturist, has asked for suggestions to help a reafforestation project on the Greek island of Amorgos.
An acquaintance of his there hopes to propagate and reintroduce Quercus ithaburensis subsp. macrolepis (a close relative of Quercus look with an even more spectacular acorn-cup) which in the past covered the island. Some 130 years ago an extensive forest fire wiped out the population and apparently there are now only ten mature trees left.
While imagining that seed is the most common propagation technique, Frank wonders whether micropropagation might have any advantages there. He also wonders whether root trainer pots might be useful in planting out small plants.
His other questions:
Would post hole borers be quickest for planting out in the rocky limestone soil?
Would oak mixed with some ratio of shrubby species be a better planting mix than oak alone?
Any guidance on protection against the goats and sheep?
Assuming no summer irrigation, would autumn planting and mulching be best?
Any suggested Greek information sources?
Any international voluntary organisation that might help?
My own experience with this species is limited to planting out three small seedlings in our hot Greek garden. I grew the plants from seed, in 3-inch pots, and planted them in early November 2010 close together in a single site, intending to thin them to just one (if Nature doesn't do it for me) once they are established. I made the planting site in thin soil over rock by hacking out a good-sized basin with crowbar and pickaxe, and tried to initiate rock fissures below and around this with the crowbar. It gets shade for the hottest part of day from a low wall and nearby cistuses and salvias, and was watered once a month in its first summer. So far all three plants survive.
I'm sure Frank would be very glad of any guidance and suggestions!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 04:04:44 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: A tree planting project
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 08:47:43 AM »
I went to a seminar on re-forestation before Christmas so I have quite a lot of information. I'll get back to you when I've gone through it.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece