Euphorbia characias

• 4 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Euphorbia characias
« on: November 16, 2011, 07:57:46 AM »
Whilst doing my autumn cleanup I noticed that some old flowering stems on a rather neglected Euphorbia characias (I usually cut out the flowering stems once they are past their best to allow the new ones to grow freely) had produced new growth from the seed heads. I suppose this happens in the wild and I think the result is quite attractive. Can I propagate from these new growths? i.e. use them as cuttings? I am never short of "volunteers" but think that plants from such cuttings would be bushier from the start.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Euphorbia characias
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 08:00:30 AM »
Whoops, forgot to post the photo!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

ezeiza

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 12:52:27 AM »
I have seen it some years, some not.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 08:50:43 PM »
John I was hoping for your comments on this posting as I know you are an expert on Euphobias :( :-*

John

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 09:14:18 PM »
Sorry Umbrian I hadn't seen your posting. Yes they do this quite often and yes it is possible to propagate from them though I would normally use strong basal shoots in preference. From experience I find that E. characias roots best from cuttings taken around May time. At least here in the UK.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.