Prunind and feeding a cypress hedge?

• 8 Replies

ritamax

Prunind and feeding a cypress hedge?
« on: March 02, 2012, 06:39:45 PM »
Hi! Appreciate your opinion. We have a typical Spanish cypress hedge, trees planted 15 cm apart, which means pruning and pruning, otherwise it looks untidy. How often can I do it and what time of the year is the best (there seem to be different opinions on that)? What about feeding? t has dry grey patches (not too many and they haven't got worse), lack of water in the past? 
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

John

Re: Prunind and feeding a cypress hedge?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 07:59:22 PM »
Quite a lot of conifers won't take hard pruning and come back well, many of the Cupressus. Though very regular clipping will keep a neat hedge, so regular rather than occaional I would say.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

ritamax

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 04:18:56 PM »
OK, so better every 3 months than 1 a year!
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

John

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 08:57:54 AM »
Well at least a regime which produces the results you want. Perhaps someone else will have an observation on this as well?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 10:06:39 AM »
I would trim/clip Cypress hedges when the new growth has just, or has nearly finished. This makes management easy and allows the hedge to green up before dormancy sets in.  I might fertilise a hedge soon after planting to help get it established and growing to the size required.  After I would lay off the fertiliser, simply because it creates a lot more (unnecessary) work.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

ezeiza

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 01:18:09 AM »
Most probably the plants will thrive with extra watering

ritamax

Re: Pruning and feeding a cypress hedge?
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 06:24:45 PM »
What I did is, I removed the huge amount of dusty dried needles under the hedge and (lying on my side on the earth, not very comfortable) put a layer of compost on the foot. I think the hedge hadn't been watered for some years, I have a person water it deeply twice a week now. Cypress is said to be very drought tolerant, but as I see a lot of dried out hedges in our corner, it seems, that they also need some extra watering. Some people have a drip irrigation for the hedge, it is probably a good idea?

ezeiza

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 07:24:39 PM »
Of course, that they can survive extreme drought does not imply they are cacti. And, you can fertilize a plant once it is in a good general condition. Foliar fertilizing makes wonders as the soil is not involved in nutrient absorption.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 09:31:49 PM »
Foliage fertilizing is generally considered a very poor subsitute for soil fertilizer.  One of the problems with foliar fertilizers is the target ie the plant. Is simply very difficult to apply a satisfactory load to the foliage and then there are problems with uptake.  Of course if the plant is "starving" you will see a repsonse.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.