Scarlet flax

• 6 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Scarlet flax
« on: July 08, 2011, 10:13:29 AM »
Linum grandiflorum 'Rubrum', or scarlet flax, is a useful annual for mediterranean gardens. In our hot unirrigated garden in southern Greece it appeared originally from a sowing of "Yosemite wild flowers" - it actually comes from Algeria rather than California, but is apparently naturalised in some places there. It has self-sown and reappeared the next year, in a dry sunny corner in poor soil. It looks great with the sun behind it, and grows to about 30cm (one foot), flowering for us in March. Its colour is good against the local wild sage, growing behind it in the picture below.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Scarlet flax
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 07:54:49 AM »
Thanks for posting about this plant; saves me posting in the identification section  :)
I agree that it makes a lovely show. I concur that it will grow and flower on some very poor and dry sites.
I collected seed last year (in Tremithousa), and have been waiting to get a soil area sufficiently finished (no more JCBs, etc.) that I can sow it.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Jamus

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 12:17:31 PM »
This spring I grew linum grandiflorum "bright eyes" and really enjoyed it.

Long hot summers, mild wet winters. Rainfall approx. 600mm pa.
Summer maximums over 40 degrees, winter minimums occasionally below freezing.
Gardening on neutral clay loam and sandy loam.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 01:01:14 PM »
I tried to grow this in pots on my balcony but had little success. But maybe Alisdair's posting holds the answer. Given that it flowers in March in Greece, perhaps I was sowing it far too late? I will try again because it does look a very attractive plant. Thanks Alisdair :-)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Linum grandiflorum 'Bright Eyes'
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 06:39:32 PM »
Jamus, that looks sensational! I'll have to get some seed, but I suspect given David D's experience best to sow it next October or November.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 10:35:43 PM »
I once tried to grow 'Bright eyes' here in Norway, I don't think they did very well, as far as I rememeber.
Your photo is really beautiful!
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Jamus

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 07:14:04 AM »

Thanks JTh. I put mine in a bit late I think, I'll be sowing earlier this year and more of it too. The year before last I grew the standard scarlet flax like you Alisdair. This spring I will grow both together as I have seed or both varieties.
Long hot summers, mild wet winters. Rainfall approx. 600mm pa.
Summer maximums over 40 degrees, winter minimums occasionally below freezing.
Gardening on neutral clay loam and sandy loam.