dragonflies

• 6 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
dragonflies
« on: January 21, 2012, 10:01:14 AM »
This dragonfly was in the shade on a chilly morning yesterday, hence he was lethargic and relatively easy to entice onto my hand. However, he was not completely torpid, as I found when trying to pose him for the camera. It was no good trying to get a head-on shot fully illuminated by the sun - because he persisted in turning himself so his body was at right angles to the sun (whence the contrast was too great from one side of his head to the other). I am familiar enough with butterflies warming-up by turning themselves so their flattened wings are at right angles (-ish) to the sun, but I had not noticed the behaviour in dragonflies before. He was happy enough to be turned head-down, again orienting his body at 90degrees to the sun, enabling me to get this picture.
If anyone happens to be able to identify the species, it would be useful to know.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

cicerone

Re: dragonflies
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 09:53:22 PM »
That's neat. Coincidentally, I just came in from my garden where I saw one up close. Didn't have my camera, unfortunately.
- Creating a California Native / Mediterranean garden in the San Francisco Fogbelt

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 07:01:27 AM »
Mike,
Sorry i have noticed this post only now,
It is a female of Epaulet skimmer, by the color of the back [ a bit orangy] and the little dark square at the end of each wing.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 09:05:21 PM »
Thank you Oron.

Having a name to go on (Orthetrum chrysostigma), I was able to do some research, during which I came across a good web site for dragonfly photos - http://www.dragonflypix.com/index.html
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

HansA

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 10:21:53 PM »
Some pictures of dragonflies I could take visiting my small pond the last days in the garden: Anax imperator, Crocothemis erythraea and Orthetrum brunneum.
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 06:52:37 AM »
Lovely, Hans - the Crocothemis picture is the most beautiful dragonfly photo I've ever seen!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

HansA

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
Thanks a lot Alisdair! I am very happy they feel at home here.
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect