Ranunculus asiaticus stoloniferous form

• 7 Replies

John

Ranunculus asiaticus stoloniferous form
« on: July 07, 2011, 01:50:20 PM »
Whilst working on the Cretan flora I came across this red form which is quite widespread on the island. It seems to only occur in cultivated land or land that would have been cultivated. To my knowledge all of these red Cretan plants are sterile and reproduce by underground stolons ending in a new plants with their own root tubers.  On Rhodes red is the most common colour and they are what I would call of the typical form and fertile. Typical Cretan plants come in colours of white, often blushed pink and with the occasional all pink form or yellow.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Ranunculus asiaticus
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 10:37:45 AM »
The red form of Ranunculus asiaticus is hard to beat for sheer spectacular showiness. This is a superb plant for mediterranean gardeners, thriving on hot dry summers and a rather wet winter. It will also take cold nights - as these plants we saw on the MGS trip to Israel this spring, on the Golan Heights.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Ranunculus asiaticus stoloniferous form
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 02:04:35 PM »
Whilst working on the Cretan flora I came across this red form which is quite widespread on the island. It seems to only occur in cultivated land or land that would have been cultivated. To my knowledge all of these red Cretan plants are sterile and reproduce by underground stolons ending in a new plants with their own root tubers. 

John that is a very intresting observation, i wonder if it is a result of thousands years of agriculture in Crete. As fields are plunged in spring, mainly Olive groves and so plants do not manage to produce seeds?
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 03:02:29 PM »
Cultivation can do many things.  Clearly the cultivation has cut and spread the stolons of R. asiaticus over time.  It does not necessarily take long either.  I`ve seen many neighbour spread his creeping thistle (?) in his backgarden after one cultivation with a power-driven rotovator.    
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

ezeiza

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 09:46:01 PM »
Oron, is this plant edible to grazing animals? Consistent grazing by flowering time could encourage the spreading of vegetatively propagating forms.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 10:18:17 PM »
Agreed - good observation, John.

It's a funny thing...
In Cyprus, or at least the western corner where I live, Anemone coronaria usually occurs in pastel shades. But the few patches of the bright red one I know are all in places recently cultivated.
...Slim statistics to go on, but I wonder if it might be a broader Ranunculaceae thing?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 10:20:19 PM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

JTh

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 04:31:19 PM »
All Ranunculus spp. are poisonous to grazing animals, but they normally stay away  from them because of the taste; the poison is broken down by drying, so hay with dry buttercups is edible. The fresh plants may cause contact  dermatitis in humans, so you should be careful when handling lots of them.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

ezeiza

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 04:52:06 PM »
Thanks, most interesting.