Fuchsia IDd as F. triphylla 'Mary'

• 3 Replies

Daisy

Fuchsia IDd as F. triphylla 'Mary'
« on: January 16, 2012, 10:43:03 AM »
It is raining outside. I cannot get out into the garden. :( :( :(
I have been looking through my photographs and realised that I have a number of plants in my garden that are unidentified.
This is one of them. Voula, the lady who has the village shop, gave me a piece from her plant.
It has never stopped flowering!!! Even now in January, it is absolutely full of blooms.
It looks to me like Fuchsia triphylla or fulgens but I don't know for  sure.
Any ideas???
Daisy :)

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:08:25 AM by Alisdair »
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Fuchsia who?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:31:17 AM »
It does look like triphylla, perhaps one of the older cultivars like 'Mary', which has red veins in the leaves like your plant. Lovely thing, Daisy!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 08:48:27 PM »
Ooh - that's gone on my to-get list, Daisy! Thanks.
And I have a feeling it should be added to David's list of plants suitable for rooting from cuttings in water.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 11:19:24 PM »
Fuchsia 'Thalia' has literally only just succumbed to the frosts and up until about a week ago was still covered in flowers here too, in London. Unfortunately it would seem that Fuchsia will be a problem here soon due to a gall insect which is spreading rapidly and makes the plants look horrid. I haven't seen it yet but believe it is around.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.