Campanula in Samothrace IDd by Oron as Campanula samothracica

• 5 Replies

Ina

• Email
Campanula in Samothrace IDd by Oron as Campanula samothracica
« on: January 18, 2012, 11:26:25 AM »
Hi everyone!!

I am new to this so please be patient with my ignorance. Last September I visited the island of Samothrace and we found this beautiful flower, that we thought it was a Campanula species. When I was trying letter to identify it I couldn't recognise it. We saw It at 1.600m at a very isolated place living in a crack in the rocks. It was the only plant we saw there. Here are the pictures.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:06:25 AM by Alisdair »
I live in the west of Greece and have a small garden. I love flowers but I have few in my garden. I usually take pictures of flowers when I hike. I started making a blog with the flora that I see on my trips.

Ina

• Email
Re: Campanula (?) in Samothrace
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 11:27:18 AM »
and here is the next one
I live in the west of Greece and have a small garden. I love flowers but I have few in my garden. I usually take pictures of flowers when I hike. I started making a blog with the flora that I see on my trips.

pamela

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 07:46:59 PM »
Hello Ina!
What a beautiful thing!  Its quite wonderful when you come across such gems in the Mediterranean (Aegean!).  It does look like Campanula but I am not an expert.........
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Ina

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 09:20:11 PM »
It was trully astonishing!!It was a nice suprise to find it there since it was really dry and rocky. I think it was the only spot with any soil in a big distance!!the way it was growing was really breathtaking! I hope that some expert will be able to help me!

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 08:02:11 AM »
Hello Ina,

Sorry for the late answer, just came back from Cyprus.

I think your plant may well be Campanula samothracica, not much details can be seen from your photo but the nerrow bracts are a good sign.
It's synonym is Symphyandra cretica var. samothracica and S. samothracica.

Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Ina

• Email
Re: Campanula in Samothrace IDd by Oron as Campanula samothracica
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 03:22:40 PM »
thank you Oron,

you made my day!!!
I also thought it could be C. sampthracica but the only picture that I found on the net wasn't very helpfull... It looked more hairy there than mine but on the other hand mine was growing under "harsh" conditions...