Lonicera fragrantissima

• 6 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Lonicera fragrantissima
« on: January 09, 2012, 05:45:44 PM »
Winter flowers that are scented are always a speicial joy and for me Lonicera fragrantissima comes top of the list. Mine has just started to bloom and it will be a little time before there are enough flowers out for the scent to hit me as I walk round the garden. A few sprigs brought into the house though soon release their wonderful sharp, fresh perfume. Although not a particularly attractive shrub when not in flower, it resists drought well and does look beautiful in the sparse winter months when the flowers show up well along the bare branches and - with that perfume I can forgive it anything :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Lonicera fragrantissima
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 02:16:20 PM »
I had this in my previous garden and it would flower, sparcely but fragrantly, in the deep shade of pine trees. I've never been successful in propagating it to bring to Koropi, though.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 05:04:29 PM »
After three weeks of snow (60+cm) and sub zero temperatures the spring like weather we experienced throughout the autumn and early winter has returned. Some things are looking decidedly battered but the Lonicera fragrantissima is covered in flowers and helping to keep my spirits up as I set about a general clean up. :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 04:29:59 PM »
Oh! I had completely forgotten about Lonicera fragrantissima. How remiss! And what good news to hear it does ok with drought. I will have to try to get some for here. One of those rare, delirium-inducing scents... Up there, for me, with the scented Daphnes and wintersweet (Chimonanthus praecox) - just delicious.
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

pamela

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 06:21:39 PM »
3 WEEKS of snow??? Carole.....what happened to the Phlomis ???  Mine went brown (not all leaves) with a  couple of hours minus 1 on two  nights!!! 
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Daisy

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 06:46:24 AM »
Lonicera fragrantissima. Gosh, that takes me back.
There used to be a massive bush at my work place. I used to make a detour on my way in and out and just stand by it and inhale. Heavenly! ;D
I have been imprisoned by the weather for a whole week.  :'( :'( :'(
There has been a very strong, bitterly, cold  wind with rain for a week now. my newly opened narcissus are all bashed down :( and I can't get out there. It is SO FRUSTRATING!!!
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 09:57:15 AM »
I wish a bit more of your rain had gone to the southern Peloponnese, Daisy! (Or even wetted us here in - foggy today - Sussex.) It looks from the University of Athens forecasts as if you're in for more of a drenching today, but then you should have a respite for three days or so. Do you know their forecasts? We find them the best at least for mainland Greece. You can find them here.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society