Encouraging other growth before flowers and fruit

• 3 Replies

david glen

Encouraging other growth before flowers and fruit
« on: January 05, 2012, 10:54:59 PM »
My loquat (Eriobotrya japonica) was planted about 2 years ago. The soil is poor but it does relatively well in these parts (Tarragona). It's a "domestic" tree here, usually just one specimen along with the fig tree planted near the house.

My plant is still spindly but from its 5 or so branches it's flowering profusely. The splendour looks foolhardy.

My question is: if I cut off the flowers now before they develop into fruit will the tree's limbs benefit ? Will the energy blocked from the fruiting process be diverted into body building?  Is it worth it? If it is worth it, then would it be even better to pinch out the flowers as soon as they appear?

David Glen. MGS member

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Encouraging other growth before flowers and fruit
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 09:58:48 AM »
David I do not think there is a right answer.  If you want early fruits then leave them on and ..........as they say.........enjoy. However if you wish to have a stronger tree then remove all the flower buds asap.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

John

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 12:54:30 AM »
I would say if the tree is looking healthy and growing away well let it fruit. You could of course compromise and only remove some of the flowers to reduce the possible amount of fruit. Or as with grapes if you get a lot of fruit set and you think its too much for the plant thin them out at that stage and end up with a few decent fruits! Just ideas, you may have already made your move?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:56:20 AM by John »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

ezeiza

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 02:55:28 AM »
There will also a natural balance by which the plant will spontaneously discard all the fruit it can not care for.
The plant will keep on growing for years and at the same time produce more viable fruit each year.