Attica Jan 2012

• 3 Replies

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Attica Jan 2012
« on: January 05, 2012, 12:40:34 PM »
While I was photoing the miserable spartiums I couldn’t resist snapping these jolly heathers nearby. Erica arborea, they seem to have no intention of becoming tree-like but they flower reliably every year whether the grass gets cut or not.
Pamela mentioned a while ago what a great plant Euryops pectinatus is, and I have to agree with a photo of one of my many plants blooming away today next to a dwarf Polygala that I’m very fond of. This Euryops has lovely cut-out grey-green leaves. Another winner, although slightly less hardy, is this small-flowered Euryops with bright green needle-like leaves whose name I’ve forgotten. I was surprised to see it being grown at Hidcote Gardens because mine was badly burnt by a hard frost some years ago although, as you can see, it grew back from a surviving branch.
Eriocephalus africanus has also been mentioned elsewhere, here with a Salvia teucrium ‘Azurea’ which I brought back from Turkey because it looked particularly floriferous.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Attica Jan 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 01:20:43 PM »
Thanks for the sunshine, Fleur, a very welcome change from the stormy gales which have been battering us here in UK.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 09:29:12 PM »
Yes - thank Fleur.
Euryops pectinatus - added to my wants list, especially since it seems attractive to butterflies.
Maybe your unknown one is E. tysonii?
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 10:22:33 AM »
Hi Fleur, the Erica is not the white flowered E. arborea but the other common Erica manipuliflora. E. arborea is often a shrub but larger and occasionally a tree. I have seen such large plants with a single trunk in Tenerife and Madeira. Does the Euryops flower for a long period with you? Or should I ask when does it not flower?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.