Gladiolus

• 92 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Gladiolus
« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2021, 11:17:00 PM »
Hi Fermi,
Thank goodness for the southern hemisphere. Where would we be up here in the cold, wet and windy weather without your lovely flowers to cheer us up? Or perhaps there are those who like winter? It takes all sorts to make a world. When I lived in Malaysia I missed the seasons. But rather like Yorkshire when Yorkshire was "proper Yorkshire", a year divided into ridings (thirds) would have suited me fine. Those Norsemen had got it right  - dividing by 3 is much better. Spring, summer, autumn and then back to spring again. Who needs winter?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2021, 04:33:14 PM »
Congratulations Fermi. It is beautiful.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2021, 07:59:41 AM »
Congratulations Fermi. It is beautiful.
A belated "thank you", Charithea. It is lovely but being a summer grower it's more by luck than good practice that I got it to flower! I'll have to plant it out in a part of the garden that gets water over summer.
Here's a new addition, another summer grower that I got at our local group's Plant Swap last month. It was just labelled "dwarf pink gladdie" so I'm not sure if it's a species or a hybrid. I've included a pic of it with a tape measure to show how small it is
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!