Gladiolus

• 92 Replies

Fermi

• Email
Re: Gladiolus
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2017, 02:36:07 PM »
From South Africa G. papilio has been in cultivation for a long time and almost certainly contributed to the development of the complex large flowered hybrids. I knew it for many years as the sombre but interesting grey mauve flower which hangs it's head...About three years ago I acquired from Avon bulbs a totally different colour form called G. p 'Ruby' (3rd picture) which is otherwise similar to the typical form but a deep ruby red.

I got seed of the ruby form of Gladiolus papilio but it must've been cross-pollinated as the resulting flower is lovely but not what I expected! It is quite vigorous too - though it took 7 years to flower from seed - the first flowers were in February last year and I planted it out in the garden where it has come into flower in less than 11 months and in an abundance!
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2017, 06:38:12 PM »
A very lucky seedling, Fermi, well worth propagating!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2017, 01:26:35 PM »
Congratulations, Fermi, on keeping a non-flowering pot of seedlings safe and labelled for seven years.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Daisy

« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2017, 10:58:08 AM »
Lovely colour Fermi. I used to grow G. papilio in Cornwall. So moody I loved it, but your new seedling is a gorgeous shade. Congratulations. I hope you toasted your new seedlings flowering with a glass or bottle of champagne.
Daisy
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2018, 03:21:28 PM »
 A friend gave us this red flowered hybrid Gladdie a few years ago and it is doing well this year
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2018, 02:37:28 PM »
This gladdie came up last year in a bed where I hadn't planted it (or at least didn't remember planting it!).
This year it has come into flower and it appears to be Gladiolus dalenii, though the flower looks a bit different to the ones that flowered in another part of the garden (fourth pic),
cheers
fermi

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2018, 12:35:12 PM »
Could it perhaps be a self-sown hybrid, Fermi?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2018, 02:10:10 PM »
Hi Alisdair,
the next florets to open were more typical for Gladiolus dalenii so I guess the first one was just an aberration!
I must've moved a corm up here from the other part of the garden at some time in the past - possibly when moving something else or I might've found a corm and just planted it here as somewhere to put it. Obviously I can't label everything! ;D
cheers
fermi

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2018, 07:35:46 AM »
But a nice aberration anyway.
Alisdair Aird

Fermi

• Email
Re: Gladiolus gracilis
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2018, 03:37:49 PM »
I showed a (poor quality) pic of this gladdie in 2014 when it first flowered.
Gladiolus gracilis grown from seed from Gordon Summerfield
cheers
fermi

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2018, 09:31:33 AM »
What subtle colouring!
Alisdair Aird

Umbrian

• Email
Gladiolus murielae (syn. Acidanthera)
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2018, 06:26:17 AM »
After many years without them I I planted some Gladiolus Acidanthera murieliae this year prompted by a request to help a group of post operative cancer suffers find new interests and hope in their lives.- the idea that planting things and ( hopefully) seeing them grow would be therapeutic. I thought long and hard and amongst other things gave each participant six corms of the above. Those remaining I planted for myself.
I have received 'photos of successful results with enthusiastic comments as to their beauty and wonderful perfume and I too have been delighted to rediscover this lovely plant.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

Re: Gladiolus murielae (syn. Acidanthera)
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2018, 10:32:10 AM »
Carole, this poor plant seems to have gone through a bit of an identity crisis. Apparently it started as an Acidanthera before becoming Gladiolus callianthus. I bought some bulbs under this name from the Chelsea Flower Show in 2012. I gave half to my sister in Derbyshire, as I was staying with her, and brought the rest home to Cyprus. Mine grew but did not flower, before giving up altogether, while hers produced an abundance of flowers and came back the following year. I must ask her how they have fared since then.
I see they are now known as Gladiolus murielae???
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2018, 05:29:17 PM »
Actually, it has changed name again, according to The Plant List the accepted name is now Gladiolus murielae. I have grown it a few times in Norway, I  seem to remember they were sold under the name Ixia (I remember the genus only, and not the species). They flowered well the first summer, but I didn't have much luck the second year, although I tried to overwinter the bulbs in a frost-free place.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2018, 09:35:39 PM »
I too grow [/i] Gladiolus murielae. But it only flowered for me the first year, 3 summers go. Last year lots of leaf growth but no flowers and this year the same. The leaves came up even later this year and are now at about a metre high. I changed the position they are in last autumn and they only get afternoon sun now so the pot (large) they are in doesn't start to get baking heat until after 13.00. Could this be the problem?

Whatever the problem is, I intend to dig them up and dot a few around the garden in various places to see which is the best spot for them.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.