Gladiolus

• 92 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Gladiolus
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 07:43:01 AM »
Thanks, Alberto; yes, leaves are very "tristis" too.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

ezeiza

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 07:20:46 PM »
As mentioned it is a very good parent for hybrids in several directions within the genus, and particularly with the former Homoglossums: very strong, very floriferous with large flowers can be obtained from such crosses. You can easily store anthers for further crossing.

Rafa

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 02:30:03 PM »
Alberto and what do you think about this?...

Ina

• Email
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 05:15:18 PM »
I have no idea what alberto think but I think they a are awesome!!!!!
I live in the west of Greece and have a small garden. I love flowers but I have few in my garden. I usually take pictures of flowers when I hike. I started making a blog with the flora that I see on my trips.

ezeiza

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 05:47:50 PM »
Well, they are most common in cultivation and the photos rather regular.

Rafa

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 08:25:51 PM »
jajajajajajajajajajjaJAJAJAJJAJAJ!!!!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Gladiolus carneus
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 09:13:18 AM »
Gladiolus carneus is one of the commonest species from winter-rainfall areas of South Africa, not fussy about habitats, not expensive to buy as bulbs, and quite easily grown from seed - as these were, flowering at the moment under glass and given mediterranean treatment here in southern England.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

pamela

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 08:20:30 PM »
Does anyone know the name of the dear little purple/magenta gladiolus which abounds in the campo in Spain at the moment.  Its delightful, very vibrant in colour and quite small.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

ezeiza

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 10:59:32 PM »
You have to look at the seeds, wether they are winged or roundish.

Rafa

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 06:19:47 PM »
so, G. illyricus or G. italicus, most probable.

pamela

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 05:57:30 PM »
Muchas gracias Rafa..yes it is indeed G. illyricus.......
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Gladiolus monticola
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 09:50:13 AM »
The pictures below are of Gladiolus monticola, photographed today. It's quite a small species, about 30cm tall. It's been in flower since mid July, in a glasshouse which we keep under Mediterranean conditions here in the UK. The flower spikes came up while the 3-litre long tom pot was still completely dry for the plants' summer dormancy. The leaves don't appear until the flowers are over.
In the wild it seems to be confined to rocky sandstone slopes of Table Mountain and Devil's Peak in the winter-rainfall part of South Africa, where it is said to be quite common. It flowers early there too, from midsummer on, and is evidently pollinated by one of the large-veined flies (the fairly long-tongued Proscoeca nitidula). The flowers have no scent.
The second picture is a blow-up of part of the top picture, to show on one flower the pink guide marks on the three lower tepals. In some forms of the species the whole flower is a lot pinker, unlike the soft apricot of my plants.
I grew my plants from seed, sown in 2006. This is the first year they have flowered.
Alisdair Aird

Rafa

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 10:39:18 AM »
WOW, congratulations Alisdar, it is a really nice species!
It seems they take a lot of time to mature the bulb?

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2012, 02:26:54 PM »
Rafa, Thanks. The slowness could just be me, I'm notoriously slow for raising bulbous plants from seed as I tend to leave them in their original seed pots, with a very lean compost, for a long time - probably too long.
Alisdair Aird

Joanna Savage

Re: Gladiolus tristis
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 12:38:30 PM »
This must be about the most common and easy Gladiolus sp. to grow. (i.e. after Barry Humphries'/Edna Everage's own specials). But it is still pretty exciting when Alpine Garden Soc. seed exchange seeds produce their first flowers.