Guess what this is 32: NOW SOLVED

• 7 Replies

John

Guess what this is 32: NOW SOLVED
« on: February 21, 2012, 07:10:56 PM »
I won't make this one too hard so not a super close up.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:08:38 AM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Guess what this is 32
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 09:59:41 PM »
Scilla, perhaps S. maderensis?
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 10:11:15 PM »
Oh well that was too easy. Yes. I grew these from seeds a good few years ago and they take up a lot of room.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 10:13:08 PM »
Or Scilla hyacinthoides?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:13:44 PM »
OK, too late and not correct
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:27:42 PM »
Good-o!

Strange: your photo makes me think of steeplejack scaffolding
...along these lines
Funny the way the mind works!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 11:27:52 PM »
Similar but softer!
John

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:07:58 AM »
Correct spelling is Scilla madeirensis.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society