Hail damage

• 10 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Hail damage
« on: January 13, 2012, 04:51:13 PM »
Since we had a terrific hail storm the other day, I thought I'd post some piccies of the damage done to plants. It was high density small hail rather than golf-ball hail.
I thought these might be of some use for future reference, because if you had been away for a few days+ when it happened, you might wonder why some of the leaves were looking like this. Yes, in some cases, it does not require a huge leap of imagination to guess the cause was hail, but some other cases are more cryptic.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Hail damage
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 09:44:24 PM »
Mike it looks like your L nobilis has some leaf miner damage but I cannot see any larvae at the ends of the mines.  This is usually a give away.  The last one is again larval/caterpillar damage , possibly Heliothus which leaves raggedy holes.  What is the plant... .a solanacae?
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 12:49:12 PM »
Thanks for your comments, David.
The bay leaves show only hail damage. The pale lines are where the leaves were creased most badly by the force of the hail folding the leaves over, in some cases  cracking the leaves.

The unknown shrub did have some grasshopper chewing damage, but most of the holing/shredding was done by the hail.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 11:31:41 PM »
I thought the last one was a Brugmansia but now I'm not as sure!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 08:58:41 AM by John »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 01:17:20 PM »
No - it is not Brugmansia.
It has much smaller white flowers, in a moderately dense inflorescence.
Here's a different specimen (protected from the hail), photo'd today.
Mike

John J

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 02:47:49 PM »
Mike, could your plant be a Justicia adhatoda?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
Spot-on, John!
Thank you.
Mike

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 08:27:05 AM »
We had a very bad hail storm in the spring that caused a lot of damage. Now I am noticing that  some leaves on the Trachelospermum asiaticum on the front wall of the house, that took the brunt of the storm, have unsightly pale brown blotches. Could this have been caused by the hail or is it some other problem? I am a little doubtfull as to whether it was the hail since the problem is not really widespread enough.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 09:22:45 AM »
Umbrian - a piccy would help!
Mike

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 11:08:46 PM »
just to add one to my earlier photos:
nasty hail damage to the stem of my Justicia adhatoda;
but it seems not to be complaining!
Mike

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 11:21:45 PM »
And a couple of photos showing the delayed effects of the hail on kumquat fruit - slightly depressed areas, gradually turning black, and with the fruits prone to drop from the tree before undamaged ones. Internally, they are a bit soft below the lesion, but otherwise intact.
Mike