Agastache

• 2 Replies

Fermi

• Email
Agastache
« on: December 17, 2018, 02:10:42 PM »
Agastache is an interesting genus with plenty of new the cultivars appearing every year.
The flowers can be any shade of pink, orange or purple and the aromatic foliage is an added attraction.
I have to admit that they do better when they can get some water over the summer.
This one is Agastache aurantiaca 'Summer Fiesta' which we got last year and I was please to see it come through the winter okay,
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 02:13:04 PM by Fermi »
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Agastache
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 07:58:11 AM »
Beautiful Fermi, I was very fond of them when gardening in the UK but have never tried them since moving to Italy because of their water requirements, being determined to have a waterwise garden. The aromatic foliage is an added attraction and I might well be tempted to give them a go again since the new, smaller garden I am now developing is aimed to be a  garden of  the senses with scents, of all kinds, playing an important part.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fermi

• Email
Re: Agastache
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 11:35:26 AM »
David Glenn at Lambley Nursery near Ballarat released this tall growing Agastache 'Sweet Lili', named for his granddaughter.
We had tried it a few years ago but it died after one season, I think because the bed it was in got too dry during the summer, despite irrigation. This bed is better soil and gets regular water in summer as we have a fruiting crabapple in the centre,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!